Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys , before you lift the tankk im pretty sure you have to take of the side plastic panel , right? Now behind thatt panel an very strong sturdy velcro. it looks like velcro like but that thing works like snap pn snap off. very sstrong indeed. Now where can i get or buy the same damm shit online?
thanks fellas

·
Registered
334 Posts
I've lifted my tank a few times and never come across this velcro that you speak. And I didn't have to remove any side panel to lift the tank either

·
GSX-R Enthusiast
2,546 Posts
You can usually lift the tank without removing those two larger plastic pieces. However it is easier to lift the tank if you remove them. They pop off and on in the rear and have a slot that mates with a metal tab on the tank. Slides back to remove.

I would rather not see stuff like that to fill voids between the frame and tank, seems to give the bike a little bit of a cheap feeling. But the connections are strong and seem durable enough. The Velcro hooks and sticky pad are made of plastic not the fabric type. Seems ok and the design of how they attach are good, just different from the older bikes.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
actually i prefer the way teh K5 lift the tank easier than the 04 R1. with the R1 you could only lift the tank a few inches without detaching the tubes connected underneatht the tank. i don't think the K5 feels cheap at all but instead a very fast and well thought easy access to difficult areas! i had a hardtime getting into places with my R1 and did not come with a hanger to hold the tank upright either..none!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Okay....I lifted my tank lastnight to insall the PCIII USB and now I know what you're talking about. I just pulled on the back part and the velcro lets go...then you have to wiggle the pience and pull towards teh back of the biek and it comes off very easy.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay....I lifted my tank lastnight to insall the PCIII USB and now I know what you're talking about. I just pulled on the back part and the velcro lets go...then you have to wiggle the pience and pull towards teh back of the biek and it comes off very easy.
thats how its done. yup

·
GSX-R Enthusiast
2,546 Posts
actually i prefer the way teh K5 lift the tank easier than the 04 R1. with the R1 you could only lift the tank a few inches without detaching the tubes connected underneatht the tank. i don't think the K5 feels cheap at all but instead a very fast and well thought easy access to difficult areas! i had a hardtime getting into places with my R1 and did not come with a hanger to hold the tank upright either..none!
True very true. It is very functional I just thought perhaps the tank could fill the void instead of the plastic parts, but the way it is designed you need those filler pieces and they work very well. The K5 definitely isn't cheap or poorly made.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I think that those 4 pieces of plastic on the tank are contributing to the vibration in the bike, since they are not sucured very well. I think the reason a lot of people are noticing the vibration in the 05 is because of all the snap fit panels through out the bike.
What do you think.

·
GSX-R Enthusiast
2,546 Posts
I think that those 4 pieces of plastic on the tank are contributing to the vibration in the bike, since they are not sucured very well. I think the reason a lot of people are noticing the vibration in the 05 is because of all the snap fit panels through out the bike.
What do you think.
The vibration is from the engine and transfers thru the chassis and connected components. I do notice the vibrations I feel thru the fuel tank increase with a full load of fuel. After about ¾ to ½ a tank it smoothes out. All bikes have some sort of vibrations, the K5 is relatively smooth and nothing out of the ordinary.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts