Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taught at a track day today and:

Holy shit, if any of you guys race--sell your bikes now and get a K5. This thing is un-fucking-real.

It handles WAY better than my FX 600 ever did, flicks so easily I found myself using more lean angle than I needed. The power is so smooth, like the throttle is connected directly to the rear wheel. And once you pull the trigger, blam, yer at the end of the straight. I can not WAIT to race it this weekend.

Considering the following conditions, I was quite happy to say I almost bested my best laptime from all of last year in one day!

cold, green and dusty track
heavy track density (couldn't get a clean lap)
still learning the bike and trying tos etup the proper gearing
first time at this track for the season

Bottom line--I'm still stupified at this thing

·
Registered
9,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
btw, put the bike on the scales--408 lbs in race trim and fuel topped off

·
Registered
290 Posts
Adam, any preliminary geometry settings? Have you touched rear ride height yet?

Let us know what you learn this weekend. Inquiring minds want to know.

·
Registered
9,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Scott,

I'm running a custom penske along with 25mm SBK fork internals with a full geometry optimization from GMD.

My numbers wouldn't help anybody.

One thing I have learned is this bike is forgiving. I made a few mistakes losing both rear and front tires at various times and I just stayed with it and it righted itself.

·
GSX-R Enthusiast
2,546 Posts

Holy shit, if any of you guys race--sell your bikes now and get a K5. This thing is un-fucking-real.

It handles WAY better than my FX 600 ever did, flicks so easily I found myself using more lean angle than I needed. The power is so smooth, like the throttle is connected directly to the rear wheel. And once you pull the trigger, blam, yer at the end of the straight. I can not WAIT to race it this weekend.

Considering the following conditions, I was quite happy to say I almost bested my best laptime from all of last year in one day!

I take it you like the new bike.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts

I take it you like the new bike.
Nice to hear some positive notes on the bike from someone who knows how this think should be ridden

I am so tired of all this "complaining threads" about seat, mirrors etc....

·
Banned
7,214 Posts
I knew it, I knew it..

This K5 is a gift from the sportbike gods...

Sheesh, from the reviews, we all knew this K5 is going to be the chit at the track!!!

And my buddies are trying to talk me outta getting one!! Bah!!!

·
Registered
9,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
to put it bluntly in another way--the bike goes anywhere you look, its like it reads your mind and does you wishes.

·
Registered
379 Posts
What bikes are they suggesting? and whats their reasoning behind not wanting you to get the K5? I'm Just curious. There seems to be some haters out there, most of them own or like R1s and ZX-10s.

·
Banned
7,214 Posts
What bikes are they suggesting? and whats their reasoning behind not wanting you to get the K5? I'm Just curious. There seems to be some haters out there, most of them own or like R1s and ZX-10s.
They are telling me that I already own two liter bikes, what I need a 3rd one for!! They are touting a track bike. Plus, I had two quick crashes within 3 weeks apart, one at the track, and the other at a stop light. Got one little scratch on my knee from both of them. No major damage to either bike, about $500 each. But, I am bikeless for almost 2 weeks, and that is unheard of. So, I figureed I get me a 05 gix. My buddies think I should get a dedicated track bike, since after my first track day, the bug has bit me!!
But, I am getting a trailer, a beat up van to pull the trailer. Gradually fixin my RC for track duty, and IMO, nothing like a new bike, and I am too phuckin old to play the waiting game.

One of my track nut buddies is suggesting I get a 250, he said I will learn more on the track with the smaller bike. Also, he said the K5 will make me slower too...

They give the old man a lot of chit..
They mean well, but I know time ain't on my side.. Sheesh, I am looking 65 in the face now, and there is no telling when this arthiritis will finally kick my azz, and put me down for the count!!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hey Webcrush you give discounts for track school to GDC members?? I have been wanting to take a school? Whats the pricing for yours?

·
Registered
9,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I started out with 16x43, then bumped the rear up to 46. I'm gonna try a 47 rear on Friday. I found myself short shifting a lot. If that doesn't do it, I'm gonna go to a 15x44 next.

·
Registered
9,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
stock is 17/42, same sprockets as the 01-04 models

·
Registered
408 Posts
Seems to me most haters have '03 and '04 Gixxer 1000's. I still think they are all jealous. I still believe the '01, '02's look better than the '03-04's and the new '05 is simply beautiful.

Back to the topic, thanks for the info, can't wait for a trackday!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts