Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I caught the old nail in the tire over the weekend. Of course it had to be over the holicay weekend, but anyway. What kind of tire does evryone recommend I like to ones that are on it but i wanted to ask to see if there were anything better before i replace them thanks alot

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have Pilot Powers but not mounted yet. From what I hear they are the sheeeet!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Depends on what you're in to... if you're a canyon racer on the weekends and never really ride in the rain (on purpose anyway) -- go for the Michelin Power Race medium's... you won't get a hell of a lot of miles out of them (1500?) -- but man oh man... best tires I've ridden yet, and I've ridden an assload of them over the years. I went for a 350 mile ride yesterday, and was draggin' my pucks all over the place. Just my 2 cents.

CD

·
Banned
80 Posts
how are the pirelli's versus the michelin's piot powers? i'm hearing the pilot powers are a higher tire which give you about 1-2 more mph up top.... what ya think?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Like Colin D said man, it's all up to what kind of riding you do. I run nothing but DOT race tires cuz all I do is hit the canyons and the occasional track day. But some dudes that come up to where I ride don't hit the mountian that hard, so they run street tires that are plenty sticky for thier level of skill. And I saw a dude spin up his rear on a brand new R1 with the stock buns on it, he high-sided and totaled a 3 day old machine. The turn was a fairly tight dec radius, but with the power that bike put out even down low is more than enough to break that shitty stock tire loose. Something to think about...

·
Registered
98 Posts
The SAME thing happened to me this weekend (nail in the road) so I need a new rear tire as well.

I ride in South Florida where we get a lot of rain here with little or no notice.
We don't have a lot of twisties here.
I mainly do high speed runs with a few off ramps.
Also, I am not an "advanced" rider,
so I am looking for a predictable/forgiving tire that isn't going to do anything sudden or silly.

What tire would you all recommend for me?

Can anyone recommend a place in the Ft. Lauderdale area to buy the tire and where to have it mounted?

Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Depends on what you're in to... if you're a canyon racer on the weekends and never really ride in the rain (on purpose anyway) -- go for the Michelin Power Race medium's... you won't get a hell of a lot of miles out of them (1500?) -- but man oh man... best tires I've ridden yet, and I've ridden an assload of them over the years. I went for a 350 mile ride yesterday, and was draggin' my pucks all over the place. Just my 2 cents.

CD
Agree.
I am running a set of Rennsports (street compound) on the K2 and they are truly different to any street tires I have ever tried. Simply amazing

On the K5 I tried a set of Powers before the crash, and they are for sure good tires, but I was not overly impressed with them compared to the BT014's. I feel the BT's suits the K5 very well and wouldn't hesitate to go for another set

·
Registered
351 Posts
for florida, you want the hardest tire you can find. stick with stock or go with a bridgestone touring tire. you wont get the corner grip the bt014 offers, but you wont have to buy new every 2500 miles.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Pilot powers are the Bomb!!

I use the race tires with medium front and medium soft rear. Amazing grip!!!

·
Registered
98 Posts
I've narrowed it down to the following

1) 2 pirelli diablo or
2) 2 dunlop D208
3) 2 pilot powers
-or-
4)just replace just the rear with the OEM Bridgestone now and do a complete set when the rear wears out next time.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Check out the last issue of RRW (roadraceworld). They did a huge tire comparison. Basically, the POWERS are the best non-race tire available. They will be my next set. The BT014s were ranked second, with the Diablo Corsas third.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I went through 3 sets of Rennsports on my 02 750 -- those tires are one of the best around... I just thought I'd give the Power race tires a shot -- and like I said, totally impressed -- having confidence in your tires to the point you don't even think about it is a good thing -- lets you concentrate on form, technique, etc... but for those of you that don't do trackdays (or very few), and are looking for better mileage, definitely go with the Pilot Powers.

CD

·
Registered
34 Posts
i dont do any track days on my k5 but i do do a lot a drag racing and the bt014 where good tires but i only got 2500 miles out of them...then i put the Pilot Power on the rear (just the normal ones) and the stick well and last FOREVER...i have 3100 miles on them now and belive they still got at least 2000 more miles left in them...

but the 4 tires you are debating on are all great tires..

·
Registered
98 Posts
Thanks for the responses!

I went with the Pilot Powers front and back.
I'll be breaking them in tonight.
The only other tires I have ever rode were the stock 05 1k tires so I don't think I'll be able to make a good comparison of the two sets.
I'm sure I will love them just the same.

Thanks again for the info.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts