Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to install a clear tank protector very soon on my blk/slvr K5. However I have a lot of micro scratches on the top and sides of the tank. I have tried 2 different scratch removers and neither worked at all. What is the best procedure for getting out very fine scratches in this tank before I protect it for good.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
There are several solutions. Eagledriver hooked me up with Maguires (step one) paint cleaner then some Maguires polish (step two). It took a bit of elbow action but the scratches came out. I don't remember what wax I used but there are tons of different products out there.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
There are several solutions. Eagledriver hooked me up with Maguires (step one) paint cleaner then some Maguires polish (step two). It took a bit of elbow action but the scratches came out. I don't remember what wax I used but there are tons of different products out there.
Maguires also makes a product called scratch x. It works great. I found it at walmart. If your scratches are deep then its gonna take some elbow work, but be careful cause you can go through the clear coat.

·
Registered
60 Posts
You realize that the scratch removers and polishes are generally very fine abrassives that have to be worked into the paint. If done by hand, it can take a while.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Try some plexus. I used it on my blk/silver K5 and it worked great!!

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Yeah, the plastic polish I have for my visor works awesome. It's called Plastic-X or something. Meguiars. Worked just fabulous.

When you put the film on, use soapy water and work out all the little air bubbles to when it dries it looks very professional.

·
Registered
628 Posts
try Hagerty's polishing compound.. a jeweler past comes in a tube.. stuff really works very well.. and believe it or not, I have had very good luck with that G47 or what ever # it is that they advertise on TV.. both really do a nice job on paint.. one of my bikes is black and has over 24000 miles on it.. looks show room still. The Hargerys stuff is also the best I have found for chrome and even getting the scratches out of exhaust end caps, boot marks off of mid pipes etc.. it is a very very very fine polishing compound... hell I even use it and the buffing wheel to take scuffs out of watch chrystals..

No I don't work for them etc..

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
For really small mirco sratches I would never use any polishing compounds as they could be too abrasive and result in more micro scratches (depends on what you call a micro scratch), i'm really fussy!

I swear by the Meguiars mirror glaze Swirl Remover 9 - Takes alot of elbow work. Not abrasive at all, its more a liquid.

By working into my rear cowel i was able to work out the little scratches i got when i dropped it (took alot of work and applications though). The scrathes were definitely bigger than swirls, but i was concerned that if i used an abrasive product i would get heeps of swirls on the black finish.

If your lasy you can use a buffer.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts