Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get a steering damper for my k5 and i need all of your opinions to what damper is the best on the market! I have seen gpr and scotts. which is the best or is there another one that is just as good. thanks for the input

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
i got an Ohlins steering damper for my K5 and i definatly like them better than the stock. direct oem placement.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
kyleusa.com its cheaper than anywhere else but customer service umm you got to experience it yourself. they treat you like you owe them money lol i got he damper cheaper though. ohh thats my Goodridge Stainless steel brake lines.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Ohlins makes Scotts

·
Registered
919 Posts
Actually - Scotts made Ohlins' rotary dampers years and years ago when Ohlins made them. (I lived a block and half from scotts in La Crescenta, CA)
Ohlins found it cheaper to buy Scotts rotary dampers and put their own top piece on them - that was honestly the only difference. Now that Ohlins doesnt make rotaries the internals are both made by their respective companies, but are of comparable quality - i've seen em both torn down right in front of me.

For a direct replacement, you cant beat the ohlins - but the Scotts rotary gives you easier adjustment on the fly, and is has three seperate damping rates, instead of two - noticable? maybe, maybe not... i love em both

·
Registered
303 Posts
i recommend the GPR stabilizer. They are top mount and you can dial in on the fly.
IMO they are better than the scotts dampner and they are cheaper.
http://www.gprstabilizer.com/

i bought my ohlins damper for 269..i believe thats even cheaper.
you are correct my fast friend..but your ohlins is not a topmount...I was saying the GPS topmount is cheaper than the Scotts topmount.
and you cant exactly adjust the stiffness on the ohlins on the fly.

I like to do that based on different riding conditions i might come across
I guess its really personal preference
Scotts, Ohlins, GPS etc are all exceptional dampners

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
i recommend the GPR stabilizer. They are top mount and you can dial in on the fly.

you are correct my fast friend..but your ohlins is not a topmount...I was saying the GPS topmount is cheaper than the Scotts topmount.

never tried GPR before thus im not sure how long was thier R&D after producing them couple years ago and im pretty sure they perform. im just not comfortable with fairly new brands in the market.
i got my damper at kyleusa.com. i bought the damper along with my Ohlins shock. anyway the price listed on thir site is still 269 so might wanna call them before it goes bye bye

heres :
http://www.kyleusa.com/catalog/ohlins_steering_damper_complete_kits_1001580.htm

pic shows top mount but i would suggest calling them . they will either recommend top or stock mount . they told me st0ck mount.
correction...my invoice says $259

·
Registered
303 Posts

never tried GPR before thus im not sure how long was thier R&D after producing them couple years ago and im pretty sure they perform. im just not comfortable with fairly new brands in the market.
i got my damper at kyleusa.com. i bought the damper along with my Ohlins shock. anyway the price listed on thir site is still 269 so might wanna call them before it goes bye bye

heres :
http://www.kyleusa.com/catalog/ohlins_steering_damper_complete_kits_1001580.htm
i can agree with that. I dont like buying products when they first come out either..but surprisingly they have been making stabilizers for street bikes over 6 yrs.
They were mainly used for dirtbike racing so they been in the game for a minute
Its all ive used for yrs and Im quite happy.
Hey is your ohlins a top mount too...if so...let me drink a cup of shut the fuck up...cause thats nice

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
i like trying out new thing and giving my comments after using them . i think its fair that way. i should be open about trying the GPR..i might just like um over the ohlins. the price on the ohlins was a turnon and so far i like um as it is.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I don't get the whole 'Adjust on the Fly' sales pitch.....I can count on one hand how many times I adjusted the Steering Dampner on my 954RR over the 3 years that I had it.

That's just smoke and mirrors in my eyes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts