Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my K5 yesterday. What a great bike. Love everything about it except the mirrors. I know that is a very minor point, but I would like to know if cops are following me.
I have a question on adjusting the mirrors. Will the plastic shell that the mirror glass sets in rotate? I have the glass pointed way down and they are still too high.

Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
301 Posts
wait till you feel the vibrations that come when riding on the highway...your balls will feel like they are going to fall off
Huh? Mine is the smoothest riding I've owned. At any rpm.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wait till you feel the vibrations that come when riding on the highway...your balls will feel like they are going to fall off
I rode it into work this morning, 27 highway miles, felt no vibration.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,844 Posts
Yes, you can kind of pull the mirrored part out and move it around a little for some minor adjustments. I tend to ride like Ben Spies with my elbows way out so they are pretty much useless in most situations. But honestly, are you reall constantly using them? Just tuck in your elbow, take a quick peek back and go.

·
Registered
12 Posts
yep the mirror really suck!

for those whoms felt vibration when ridding, suspension setting from the factory kinna stiff. dail up or down according to your weight and ridding style it may help.

·
GSX-R Enthusiast
2,546 Posts
Trying to play down the baddest Gixxer on the planet. Damn kids.

My bike has no bad vibrations like the girls are claiming and the mirrors work just fine. Just a poor design. You can still see good enough. Although I prefer my '02 750 mirrors, those were unbelievably rock solid.

You can adjust the mirrors around you just have to work at it, don't worry you won't break the moving part, force that thing into position, it'll move.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Trying to play down the baddest Gixxer on the planet. Damn kids.

My bike has no bad vibrations like the girls are claiming and the mirrors work just fine. Just a poor design. You can still see good enough. Although I prefer my '02 750 mirrors, those were unbelievably rock solid.

You can adjust the mirrors around you just have to work at it, don't worry you won't break the moving part, force that thing into position, it'll move.
I realise the mirror glass moves in the plastic housing. I know the lower part of the mirror stem next to the front fairing moves. What I was wanting to know is, does the mirror housing on the top part of the stem move. It looks like it should rotate but if it does I am not puttin enough force on it.

Thanks again,
Steve

·
Registered
144 Posts
It looks like that because of how many parts there are. It doesnt move. Push the glass whare you want it and hold it there. It will eventually stay. I agree they suck. But I can handel them more than the jigsaw puzzel of plastic body work. The bike is great thow. my complaints are minimal for how much I love this bike. I am thinking about getting the mirrors from an older gix. I loved my 03 mirrors.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Picked my 05 up yesterday same problem all that you see is sky even when the mirrors are adjusted all the way down. The problem was the bottom piece that has a pointed edge and a rounded edge was on backwards. Take a 10 mm wrench and turn them around it makes a world of a difference.

·
Registered
3 Posts
yes the whole mirror would work too just make sure the base piece turns 180 degrees
You will have to remove the two nuts and lift the mirror high enough so the bolts on the mirror clear the paint and turn it around btw there isn't a whole lot of wire for the turn signals to work with

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Picked my 05 up yesterday same problem all that you see is sky even when the mirrors are adjusted all the way down. The problem was the bottom piece that has a pointed edge and a rounded edge was on backwards. Take a 10 mm wrench and turn them around it makes a world of a difference.
Thank you very much. That is exactly what the problem was. The bottom mounts were on upside down. Again many thanks. I never would have thought of that.

Steve

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had this same problem with my mirrors. I had it corrected at rthe dealer when I got it. I also went out on the shhowroom floor and pointed out that every 05' Gixxer1000 that they had out had the mirrors on wrong. The tech that set up my bike from the crate told me that the mirrors are coming out of the crate already on the bike. Sounds like a bunch of bull to me. I just think that they're just putting the things on backwards during setup!

·
GSX-R Enthusiast
2,546 Posts
I had this same problem with my mirrors. I had it corrected at rthe dealer when I got it. I also went out on the shhowroom floor and pointed out that every 05' Gixxer1000 that they had out had the mirrors on wrong. The tech that set up my bike from the crate told me that the mirrors are coming out of the crate already on the bike. Sounds like a bunch of bull to me. I just think that they're just putting the things on backwards during setup!
The mirrors are already on the bike from the crate, they are folded. The set-up dude swings them into position and that is all they do to the mirrors. The factory has already mounted the mirrors on the bike. The pointed corner of the mirror should be on top facing inward.

The moving part of the mirror is correctly installed on my bike. You guy's do not have to turn them around, just force them around into position after awhile they will loosen up enough to move easily and they still stay in position.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts