Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
9,346 Posts
Your right side looks correct but the left side is messed up. That coiled guide goes into the underside of the upper tripple clamp. The lower guide looks like the one for both throttle cables but it should be where you have the coil. There's another guide for the wiring harness that goes in the lower position.

·
9,346 Posts
I recall posting some pics here from the service manual about that guide years ago but they were probably on Tinypic and, if so, will not be visible any more. It was part of a discussion of the four guides that are around the steering head. They were taken from 10-21 in the service manual but I'd managed to copy them without the text and leaders. Note the two rightmost pics. Suzuki didn't do a very good job of explaining things. I'll wait for Gixxersmithy to post. Many years ago I had my coiled guide partially off as part of fooling around with the ignition switch. I have it back in place but am unconvinced that I have it exactly right (the issue being where is the upper straight end supposed to sit). The parts fiche does a much worst job and I added a drawing to the downloadable parts list that I have on Mediafire. I've looked for years without success for a pic of the coiled guide being offered for sale.

·
9,346 Posts
Here's a pic of the coiled guide on my K6:

I show two arrows indicating possible routing of the top of the guide. The red arrow has the top running front-to-back along the left side of the steering head. That's the way that mine is right now. The orange arrow has the top running left-to-right along the front of the steering head. The drawing on 10-21 of the service manual indicates that this is where Suzuki wants the top of the guide to run and where Gixxersmithy has his. Having it in the Suzuki position will rotate the guide counterclockwise about 90° from where I have it and cause the bottom loop of the guide to push the cables fairly snugly against the frame rail. This will create a tighter bend in the cables and there will be significantly more rubbing of the bottom loop against the cables. I assume that this is what the coil is about, i.e. the guide applies a spring tension to the bottom loop against the cables. My position relaxes the tension against the cables so that they have more gradual bends and run out a bit from the frame rail, but not so much that they touch the forks. I found the alternate position by accident when I had the ignition switch off and didn't reinstall things per Suzuki. But I like it better than the official position.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts