Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought some H7 HIDs before my bike K5 LE arrived. I decided to wait to have my mech. and trusty friend do my 1000Km service and at the same time install my HID on my lowbeam. Well he gets things going and he says problem. The HID bulb is to long it hits the inner cone thingy. HE said he can get it in there but if it vibrates it will crack. So my question is.... I know a few of you guys have installed HIDs how did you get around the bulb length issue? For now I returned the HIDs but any suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
303 Posts
i have an HID bulb..its the long one..but not the original. What i did was take a regular H7 bulb. Break the base off that...got some super duty plastic weld and bonded the base to my HID bulb. So now its technically an H7 HID but its a little shorter than the original HID h7.
My bulb barly touches the reflector. It works with no problems.
Hope that helps

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess its true you never know everything. I thought I knew alot about HIDs but now I'm left scratching my head. I hope more people with K5 and HIDs reply with what their solution was. Dont get me wrong your idea works and works well, but I'm looking for a easy quick solution... again thanks one option to explore.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I'm with Matt , its close but I have no problems yet with the bulb. I Allready put 200 miles on her. The only thing I noticed was a slight discoloration on the top of the reflector like a rainbow color but you can barely see it unless you really look close.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Which company would you guys recomend to order some HID's from? I'm in the US. I am looking for a trust worthy company.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So how long are your bulbs? Mine was about 1 3/4 inch and it just touched the reflector cap My friend with a CBR1000RR order some and his look like they are 1.5 inches long so Im hoping thats a better fit.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Not sure if it's the same distance or measurments, but the H7 bulb in my 600 works perfectly. Maybe you should try installing it yourself to see if it might be just the mechanic.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ohh no I took it to the guy I bought them from and he confirmed it. Plus my mech is a good friend and he wouldn't BS me, I was more affrad the guy that I bought them from would say naa its ok you shouldn't have to worry. But even he said ok I'll refund your money and find you shorter bulbs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts