Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i wracked my k7 R750,and im intrested in buying a K5 R1000
seller says that the previous owner put a performance chip and since than the gear indicator is "stock" on 5th gear (because of that chip and that the gear indicator is fine)

someone is familiar with this ?
is it fixable ?

Thanks

·
Registered
283 Posts
Sounds like the "chip" is actually a TRE (timing retard eliminator) that does not retain the gear indicator functionality. This gizmo basically signals the ECU to always use the 5th/6th gear ignition map all the time regardless of the gear you are in. In doing so, it is continually causes the "5" to display in the gear indicator. New units retain the gear indicator functionality while still using the 5th/th gear map all the time. Use the search function, sit back, read all about them.

Sounds like nothing is wrong with the bike if the above is true for your situation. Your choices are to get rid if it, leave it alone, or get a newer model replacement to get the gear indicator functionality back. The claim for keeping it (or getting the newer version) is better throttle response at part throttle in lower revs for gears 1-4. The cons are no difference at high revs and wide open throttle, so what's the advantage? You choose the answer. The PO obviously chose to get it.

Hope this helps.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,844 Posts
I thank yew can just take of that chip and than it want be "stock" in 5th.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts