Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a K5-1000, on hot days during long rides the bike shuts off when 'heat soaked' (riding long enough for entire bike to be warm-not just engine).
Not over heating (178-200+ deg don't matter)
If I'm in traffic it may happen sooner as opposed to being on the highway on a hot day.

It sputters, says - on gear indicator screen and 'CHEC' on the other screen.
If I shut the key off for a 30 seconds and turn it back on bike will start back up immediately and run until whenever it randomly shut off again.

I know issue is not within the engine itself because I put another engine in the bike (unrelated) and I'm getting the same issue. Has anyone experienced this issue or found a fix for it?

I seen another post where a 750 was doing the same thing and it seemed to be ECU related. Please if anyone has a DEFINITE FIX please respond. Thank you.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I've read of a few K3 K4 1000 and K4 K5 600/750 with ecu heat related problems. Have not read of
any ecu problems on K5 and later bikes(yet). Besides the ones that fried ecu due to faulty rectifier.

I had a similar problem on my K4. It would stall when hot. It turned out to be the side stand switch.
Somehow heat was affecting it. Perhaps something was broken/loose on the inside and when it
got hot, it would fail completely. I bypassed the switch and it didn't stall after that.

You could disconnect and bridge the side stand switch connector temporarily, while you are diagnosing.
It will remove one potential problem. Then go for a ride and get the bike hot. It could take an hour or more.
If the bike still stalls, then that's not the problem. We will need to look elsewhere.

The guy with the 750 with the ecu problem did note.... that after stalling, his starter motor was still
functional even with "CHEC" on the dash. It should not crank with "CHEC" on the dash.

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
10,385 Posts
CHEC means the cluster isn't getting serial data from the ECM. That can't be a faulty wiring connection as that wouldn't shut the engine off. The other possibilities are ECM failure, sidestand switch failure, faulty interlock relay, faulty ignition switch, faulty engine stop switch, or a wiring issue. Of those the first two are the most likely since it self heals. I'd expect a heat soaked (or whatever) ECM to take longer to recover so that points at the sidestand switch. If it trips, 12 V power on the O/W lead to the ECM would be cut off. It would be nice if you could rig up a 12 V LED to the O/W lead at the dealer mode switch and locate the LED somewhere that it could be easily seen. If it goes out, the interlock relay has tripped, probably from the sidestand switch.

Take a look at the figure on 9-12 in the service manual. The bike will crank and run as long as there's power to the ECM via the O/W lead. But faulty wiring to the cluster could cause CHEC to appear even if the ECM was OK and running.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts