Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
jsut got a set of black woodcraft engine case covers and race slider pucks, any1 have any helpful hints on installation b4 i tackle this project.....

Jared

·
Registered
297 Posts
Re: K5 gixxer 750 woodcraft case covers installation questio

never installed woodcraft case covers, but i assume they are just like stock. super simple, just remove the bolts, remove the cover, and reinstall new one. just make sure you get new gaskets, that way you aren't taking any chance's with leaks.

oh, and watch out for the stator cover, the magnectic field around the stator sucks the cover to the block, so just watch your fingers so they don't get pinched. it hurts, trust me

·
Premium Member
26,775 Posts

Use a torque wrench when you put it all back together.....the bolts are very easy to strip.

njracer

·
Registered
1,343 Posts

Clean the engine where the old gasket was with a razor blade - get all the old grime off (use brake parts cleaner if you want, but try not to get any in the engine - spray it on a rag and then wipe). Still use the razor though to ensure that everything is scraped off and flush.

Get some high temp black silicone sealant and bead it around the seam where the bottom and top half of the engine are on either side of the stator (or, just bead it all around - can't hurt so long as you don't put too much on). You'll want a fair amount, like maybe a 2mm by 2mm (w x h) bead of silicone.

Put the new gasket on, make sure you have the metal dowels in place on the engine (btw, if they're stuck in the old cover, get a torch and heat up the cover - then just tap out the dowel!) and watch your fingers as mentioned! Be careful and line it up as best you can - when you get too close the magneto just sucks the thing closed. Position it good, hand tighten the bolts (a few should have washers - make sure all bolts go back in the right spots) until the silicone beads out just a bit.

Wait an hour or whatever the instructions on the silicone say, then torque to 7 ft/lb. If you don't have a torque wrench (contrary to what njracer says, I recommend not using one, as you'd have to have a REALLY good torque wrench to have it accurately determine such a low torque), 7 ft/lb isn't tight at all really.

For written explanation of 7 ft/lb, screw the bolt on until you feel resistance, then crank it just lightly - you shouldn't have to put any weight in to it - like as if you were screwing a screw into a pre-drilled piece of wood - tight, but not that tight. You can also guess how tight it should be by how hard it is to take off the bolt, minus a bit of effort since the bolts kinda "stick" after time, so you force a bit, it breaks and then just comes out easily - 7 ft/lb is just hand tight with a ratchet.

Tighten the bolts in a star configuration until they all feel equally right. If you put the bike on a front stand (only - difficult but possible), there shouldn't even be any reason to drain the oil from the bike. After riding, the next day, recheck the bolts to ensure they're still on tight - they may loosen up a bit after riding with it as the metals settle in.

Most importantly, take your time and have fun working on the bike - rushing things and you might miss something and think *oh shit* only after you try to start the bike!

·
Premium Member
26,775 Posts

Clean the engine where the old gasket was with a razor blade - get all the old grime off (use brake parts cleaner if you want, but try not to get any in the engine - spray it on a rag and then wipe). Still use the razor though to ensure that everything is scraped off and flush.

Get some high temp black silicone sealant and bead it around the seam where the bottom and top half of the engine are on either side of the stator (or, just bead it all around - can't hurt so long as you don't put too much on). You'll want a fair amount, like maybe a 2mm by 2mm (w x h) bead of silicone.

Put the new gasket on, make sure you have the metal dowels in place on the engine (btw, if they're stuck in the old cover, get a torch and heat up the cover - then just tap out the dowel!) and watch your fingers as mentioned! Be careful and line it up as best you can - when you get too close the magneto just sucks the thing closed. Position it good, hand tighten the bolts (a few should have washers - make sure all bolts go back in the right spots) until the silicone beads out just a bit.

Wait an hour or whatever the instructions on the silicone say, then torque to 7 ft/lb. If you don't have a torque wrench (contrary to what njracer says, I recommend not using one, as you'd have to have a REALLY good torque wrench to have it accurately determine such a low torque), 7 ft/lb isn't tight at all really.

For written explanation of 7 ft/lb, screw the bolt on until you feel resistance, then crank it just lightly - you shouldn't have to put any weight in to it - like as if you were screwing a screw into a pre-drilled piece of wood - tight, but not that tight. You can also guess how tight it should be by how hard it is to take off the bolt, minus a bit of effort since the bolts kinda "stick" after time, so you force a bit, it breaks and then just comes out easily - 7 ft/lb is just hand tight with a ratchet.

Tighten the bolts in a star configuration until they all feel equally right. If you put the bike on a front stand (only - difficult but possible), there shouldn't even be any reason to drain the oil from the bike. After riding, the next day, recheck the bolts to ensure they're still on tight - they may loosen up a bit after riding with it as the metals settle in.

Most importantly, take your time and have fun working on the bike - rushing things and you might miss something and think *oh shit* only after you try to start the bike!
Good advise but there is no need for silicone at all.

njracer

·
Registered
1,328 Posts

Great, they make black ones now. Thanks for telling me that. Something else I have to order.

·
Premium Member
5,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

thanx 4 all da info.....can't wait til some nice weather and some freet ime so i can tackle this!

·
Registered
2,252 Posts

we must have been in the same boat Avplayer...I just got mine too. Says on the instructions to use permanent lock-tite on the slider puck...is this a must? If I go down I want to be able to replace the damn thing...Is "permanent" lock-tite, truly permanent?

·
Registered
4,508 Posts

You can still get them off. Believe me, you really don't want those screws on the inside of the cover to come off and rattle around in your motor.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts

What I meant to say is, I have permanent and then I have high temperature thread lock...which should I use?

·
Registered
188 Posts

hey g-force,

do you have more pics of the bike in your sig?

looks pimp nice

·
Registered
3,335 Posts

What I meant to say is, I have permanent and then I have high temperature thread lock...which should I use?
I used red Loctite. The screws can be heated up with a torch and then removed no problem. Following the directions I would agree it is better safe than sorry. Also, use the silicone. Can't hurt and worked fine on mine (with the gasket per the OEM manual directions). Later,

·
Registered
538 Posts

i rocked one on my 600k2.... gotta see it in black though. you gotta post pics when up

·
Registered
2,252 Posts

I just finished putting them both on...fair warning to anyone replacing the stator cover. YOU GOTTA YANK ON THAT BITCH!!! That magnet is strong!. Anyway...here are the pics. Let me know what you think!

I tip my hat to Eric Wood, these covers are Art, and the logic behind them makes sense. Keep the good stuff coming Eric!

Started Idle Cover

Starter Idle Cover...another angle

Stator Cover without fairing

Stator Cover with Fairing

Stator Cover with Fairing to show clearance

·
Registered
188 Posts

pictures of the bike man.....please..pretty please.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts

sorry...I didn't see your first post on here...

here ya go....these were taken before I cut the exhaust can down 3 inches.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts

I think I had all of 30 miles on her when I took those. Since I have put on a Scott's Damper, TRE, shimmed the rear shock, and obviously the case covers.

·
Registered
188 Posts

dam...30 miles and already full system? you people dont play

Thanks man, looks pimp.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts

dam...30 miles and already full system? you people dont play

Thanks man, looks pimp.
I pulled it off my 2001 before I sold it! I bought it wrecked on Ebay for like $350, it had a titanium sleeve at the time. I have since rebuilt it with a carbon sleeve.

·
Registered
4,508 Posts

I think I had all of 30 miles on her when I took those. Since I have put on a Scott's Damper, TRE, shimmed the rear shock, and obviously the case covers.
Looks like wave rotors too....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts