Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else getting a chirping noise from the front brakes while braking from high speeds. I went for a nasty canyon ride that tested my brakes well, and they seem to make some noise now. Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this?

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
Sounds like glazed brake pads. You'd need to remove them from the calipers and have them abraded with sand-paper. Some good mechanics smear a light coating of copper or some other high-temp grease on the back of the brake pads (facing the pistons) to reduce the possibility of brake squeal. Just a light coating, mind you. Too much and the pistons will get gummed up.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any suggestions on the grit of the sand paper, shouldnt be a problem to do it your self at home right?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Mine doesn't do that but does seem to wag from side to side a little when braking hard from higher speeds...(170 plus)
That's called a weave, sorta like headshake but it's comming from your rear end. I suggest you drag the rear brake during heavy front braking.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any suggestions on the grit of the sand paper, shouldnt be a problem to do it your self at home right?
Anyone?

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Anyone?
I believe medium to fine grit will do the job.

BTW I have had 3 bikes delivered to me in the crate the past 3 years. I always clean the discs with brake/contact cleaner before even rolling the bike a meter. There is always a thin layer of protective film on there that needs to be removed. I would suspect some dealers miss this.
I also try to bed in the pads carefully gradually increasing braking the first few miles.

·
Registered
919 Posts
comeback - great suggestions on a topic that needs to be addressed more during break it - THE BRAKES!

you're right on the money - and an asset to this board

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I took it real easy on my breaks for the first 100 miles or so, your def right about breaking them in as well.

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
Sorry, Chevelle. Was off the board for awhile, due to a weekend trip to the track. Nice to see that there are lots of others here (thanks, Comeback!) to help you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts