Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
I just bought that one. How high up on the undertail did you mount it from where it attaches near the shock? I gotta find different bolts for the fill in piece. Maybe some philiips heads instead of the heax heads

·
Registered
149 Posts
where did you buy that? pics pics and more pics too

·
Registered
178 Posts
Post more pics. I have a comp werks on my bike now but i think i like this one better. I just ordered it. How was the install? Any drilling or cutting?

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
Ya have to drill 3 holes in the undertail.
I looked into legality in New York. The plate has to be 1) Lighted and visible from 50 feet; 2) Have a reflector which can be part of the tail light. I'm going to find some small reflectors for the plate bolts and I'll be all nice and legal

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Legal here in Ca., that is why I went with this one with the LED tag light. The undertail needs to be removed and three holes drilled in it. The kit comes with all hardware and wire splices along with detailed instructions with pictures to install. They also give you a plate to fill the area where the original fender was.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What was involved/how hard was the removal of the underrtail??

Looks great, price??

Does it have a factory connector for the light?
The undertail comes off easy by depressing the centers of the 4 clips, removing them, and it slides back and out towards the rear. No factory connector, you need to splice into your existing tag light wires that you clip when the fender assembly was removed.
I paid $79.99 and actually found it on Ebay.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Looks great. I have the Competition werks kit but no bike. I'm all for fender eliminator kits, but some of the mods I've seen done here to relocate the License plate looks ghetto. Glad to see you took the time to do it right.

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
Here's a pic of one I got from Suzuki. Actually doesn't look bad and looks much better than the Home Depot cob jobs I've seen on here (sorry about the photo quality)

·
Registered
518 Posts
Sorry, no pictures, but I did one of those Home Depot cob jobs. Bought two angle brackets as someone else had mentioned and drilled two holes in my plate next to the ones that are already there. Took a marker and traced around the mud flap where it meats the fairing. Used hacksaw and dremel so that I have a cover plate. Used the two rear screws of the mud flap to fasten the angle brackets. Just no plate light other than the brake light right now.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
teamharvey ...I really like that a lot but around here the cops would have a hayday on me for that.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Poster: TheSwami
Subject: Re: K5 fender eliminator

Here's a pic of one I got from Suzuki. Actually doesn't look bad and looks much better than the Home Depot cob jobs I've seen on here (sorry about the photo quality)
got a part number.. cant find shit on thier site

·
Registered
178 Posts
You shouldn't have had to cut any wires to get the tag wire disconnected. It un clipped under the passenger seat. Then you just pull the wire through the hole in the under tail.

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
I bought the Suzuki bracket from Oneida Suzuki. Part No. 990A0-65001 for $39. Uses the existing plate light and reflectors. Bolts in place nice and looks professional.

I'm still debating putting the sportbikecreations kit on. Looks like it's legal here but I really don't want to be getting pulled over for it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I hear you about the legal thing but I wanted something mounted down low so the tail looks nice and clean. Besides where I live in Delaware the cops are pretty cool and let you get away with a little more than normal if your in the military. I am in the Air Force so they cut me some slack. I also ride with a couple of the local cops so I have names to throw around if anybody tries to give me shit.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts