Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the veterans and those with McGyver like super powers are gonna say this was an obvious one, but we all know that there are still those few who will ask "how did they do that?". So here is my quick write up on keeping your K5 tail section looking clean and moving that license plate down where (I think) it belongs.

Tools I used: hole punche/drill and a set of bolts to hold the plate. I used a hole puncher to make perfect holes in the plastic as it was easier to use vs. a drill.

Step 1. Locate the black platic flap that runs underneath the battery tray. (my photo shows holes in the flap because I had already put them in before I took this pic.)

Step 2. Use the hole puncher or drill to make a hole or two holes where you want them.

Step 3. Mark your plate with a sharpee or pen or whatever so you know where to make your holes on your plate. I did have my state plates yet so I used my dealer plates. I apologize for the blury photo, but I am sure you get the point.

Step 4. Make your holes in your license plate. As you can see the holes will be closer together vs the standard holes on your license plate.

Step 5. Bolt it up!

Special Note: Be sure you choose bolts where the threads are short enough to not touch the metal component behind the flap.

I hope this helps some members in the least. By the way, if you are wondering if this is legal, you will need to check with your local and state authorities. General rule is that there needs to be a license plate light to make this legal. I am working on that one next.

·
Registered
334 Posts
It won't be legal in ANY STATE.....The license plate is not viewable from behind when you do this mod....I've done it myself so I'm not saying don't do it....but be prepared to get pulled over by any cop that is behind you. The plate is completely Unviewable from a car directly behind you.

When standing behind the bike you can see it perfect...but from a car it's unseen. Cops will get you for it...I got busted tonight for it.

·
GSX-R Enthusiast
2,546 Posts
Re: Fender Eliminator Write-up with Pics

Nice writeup.

I thought about doing that but the only problem I see is when the rear suspension compresses.

·
GSX-R Enthusiast
2,546 Posts
It won't be legal in ANY STATE.....The license plate is not viewable from behind when you do this mod....I've done it myself so I'm not saying don't do it....but be prepared to get pulled over by any cop that is behind you. The plate is completely Unviewable from a car directly behind you.

When standing behind the bike you can see it perfect...but from a car it's unseen. Cops will get you for it...I got busted tonight for it.
And the other issue of getting pulled over.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts