Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wanting to know what interchanges. I've been told that a earlier clutch basket would bolt right in to my bike and eliminate the slipper setup that came in my bike and have heard about a cushion kit or using Kawasaki zx 10 clutch parts if you could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it all I've been able to find so far is partial information

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
01-04 use thicker clutches you will have to change out completely basket and all to use.Using Kawasaki stuff I don't know someone on here will tell you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So the 01-04 basket just bolts up. Cool! On the use thicker, steels or friction? And what brand seems to work better ?

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
Im assuming K5 1000? You could back-date to an 03-04 clutch,just need the basket,hub,plates,pushrod,etc.

Of you can simply replace the K5 slipper with a Brocks mod or weld the slipper for $25;they both accomplish the same task

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ive been trying to figure out whats the best set up this bike has a lot of miles and has a chatter issue that got alot worse after i geared it down . I want to get it right the first time lol that being said whats your opinion for the best setup?

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
Ive been trying to figure out whats the best set up this bike has a lot of miles and has a chatter issue that got alot worse after i geared it down . I want to get it right the first time lol that being said whats your opinion for the best setup?
Go ahead and have a look through this:
http://www.gixxer.com/forums/236-05-06-gsx-r1000/136907-05-06-gsxr-1000-clutch-mod-diy-w-lots-pics.html

The set-up I have always used on my K5/6 for drag racing has been:
-OEM plates(always!!)
-HD springs
-welded slipper(takes 10min to weld)
-3 holes drilled into basket
-complete free-play adjustment after 4-5 passes

K5/6 clutches can be finicky if not adjusted properly from the get-go. The key to buttery smooth launches and clutch engagement is proper free-play adjustment,or the bike will start to buck/grab/chatter when launching hard or aggressively.

How many miles on this bike and how many previous owners before you? Hows the basket look? Are there notches/grooves where the plates make contact with the basket/hub? This will cause several issues,such as inconsistent engagement. If you have notches/grooves then take a small file to them,or if they are too deep you'll have to replace both parts.

I cannot stress how important it is to have the clutch free-play adjusted properly. This is a must-do,and should be checked/adjusted regularly otherwise you will have issues.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just found a K4 clutch! My bike has 64k on it I haven't opened the clutch up yet but was figuring on the basket being all groved out and just replacing it the new one has the oil hole mod already no slipper and is supposed to be a straight bolt on from what I hear. the clutch has had a intermittent chatter since I got it and 2 previous owners that took pretty good care of it . I will ck out the link thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update out with the old in with the older! Got the K4 clutch and Kawasaki zx10 jutter plate OMG night and day it's working better than I thought it would had to get a little creative to get the correct stack hight added psr gp levers and got it dialed best feeling clutch I've ever run!

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
My 03 loved the brocks cushion. Low 1.4 60' were pretty easy at 60". But as oldgixxer was saying cable freeplay had to be adjust every few passes. I remember brocks having a great wrireup on it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
4 Participants
gsxrdan26
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing