Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering what the dealers have told others about the break in on there K5's. I picked mine up friday, and I love the bike, but my dealer told me break in was only 300 miles. Said not to go over half throttle, and not to red line it and to not keep it at a steady rpm. I turned over 300 miles so am I ok to take it past 6000 rpms? I'm still a lil skeptical about running it hard.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,844 Posts
Did you read the manual that they gave you with the bike. My guess is no. My recommendation is open it (the manual, not the throttle).

·
Registered
303 Posts
cmon man...dont be scurred....do it the mototune way.
Think about it...do u honestly think team yoshimura rides Mladin, Yates, and Spies bike easy for 300 miles before they hit the track hard??
MOTOTUNE all the way.
Ive done all my bikes this way and never had a issue.
And may i add that my HP #'s seem to come out higher than for previous individuals who run their bike the easy way.
Just my 2 cents
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

·
Registered
409 Posts
I hope I didn't hurt the bike.. Its got just over 200 miles on it and I have gone a tad fast a few times (up Bear mountain at about 110) any sugestions from here on in?

·
Registered
379 Posts
I hope I didn't hurt the bike.. Its got just over 200 miles on it and I have gone a tad fast a few times (up Bear mountain at about 110) any sugestions from here on in?
Bear Mountain? I was on 7-Lakes drive yesterday. Are we talking about the same place? Great roads for canyon carvers BTW.

As far as break-in is concerned I waited for about 80 or so miles, then I did whatever after that. I babied my GSX-R750 during break-in last year. I have a warranty, so this time I decided to try something different. There are plenty of opposing opinions in regards to break-in. I tried the baby method now I’m going to do what racers and everyone else does. See link
MotoTune USA engine break-in advice

·
Registered
163 Posts
my method (as well as my friends) 200mi's then open game on that whore. this topic has already been covered but the way i c it is this bitch has been built to take a beating she likes it.. if u treat her like a panzy then she wil get used to it and when u go and beat on her shee be mad and not perform... THATS JUST MY 2 CENTS

·
Registered
601 Posts
i was told not to go out of 3rd gear for a while... but hey i got on the road and that thing screamed more so i gave it more... i was at 115 in 2nd the up shifted to calm her down.. i did not see the wheel want to come up yet but then again im 6ft 270 lol but im sure it can come up and i was trying alittle bit

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well, the factory ownrs manual calls for below 6500 until 500 miles then below 10,000 to 1000 miles then it's party time! I have been building race motors for about 18 years and we usually just heat cycle them three or four times retorque the head and have at it, generally this doesn't seem to effect the logevity of the engine life, but then again, the valve job goes off pretty quick and we have to freshen that up. I did notice something though I had the K5 ata a track day with about 80 miles on it and was following the factory recomendation (No Really) after about three sessions I went out and just for fun thought one blast to 10 grand wouldn't hurt anything? So I ripped ass out of a slow turn and let it sing, the high beam light blinked? Hmmmmmmm...... So I did it again, same thing. Being the paranoid goverment conspiracy theorist type I ended my experiments. I kinda think that if GM can "black box" their cars Suzuki could do their bikes.

The reality of engine break in requires that the parts be slowly and steadily loaded to progressively higher levels, so that rings and valves seat, transmission parts wear in etc. Modern engines that have had the thorough friction reduction treatment Ie. Chrome bores, treated pistons etc, don't really need all that much but pulling the bike from say 3.000 to 6500 rpm will get the shifting fitting and thermal stabilizing done and you may get to live for the few days it takes to go 500 miles

·
Chubby Chaser
57,844 Posts
Well, I have about 550 miles on it now, highest I brought it up to was about 8 grand. So I guess I can go play for real now.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Varied the rpms on teh way home form the dealer. 30kms and changed the oil.. no lie a shitload of metal filings in the oil. warmed her up to temp.. got on the highway..and did it the mototune way !
75 kms.. and i was pinned in 6th ( well almost).. 302 km/hr . how's that for a break- in ??

Went to the dyno.. and out of 9 04 750s hes dynoed stock.. guess who has the highest #

Not just for higher #s though, i babied my 03 600 the manual way, and my 04 now runs smoother and much nicer than the day i brought her home from the dealership. my 600 never changed much since new.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts