Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question about these newer “L” generation 1K's. I own a K6 and have always loved it. People I run across, who are familiar with the K5 and 6 generation, often comment that they are the "best GSXR 1000's ever made". Obviously evolution has taken place since then so I'm wondering if the K5 & 6 are starting to lose their luster in some of the aspects they're most noted for. That's a broad statement so I'd like to get down to what I'm specifically looking for help with. I'd like opinions mostly on handling. Obviously there is a power, weight and wheelbase difference (to name a few). And of course the exhaust can be dropped from the newer ones to shed some weight. Then comes the choice of an "R" model as well. Since I'm a street rider I'm wondering how the newer bikes maneuver, their "flickabilty", their "turn in" and how they feel in corners over the 5 & 6 generation. I've read and seen many videos stating that the latest generation is a very small and compact bike over some of the previous years. Not sure if they took the 5 & 6 gen into consideration when claiming that. I'm wondering what handling impact this has made if any. And finally, what does the power curve look like on the new bikes? I've always loved the linear nature of my engine. If the L series has more of a top end rush it wouldn't make sense for me on the street.

I've noticed lately that manufacturers are advertising the weight of their bikes in "curb weight" figures. My bike was advertised in "dry weight". If you drop the OEM exhaust on the newer ones, and remove the fluids, etc., what is the "dry" number to compare between the two? I'm assuming there will still be a significant difference given ABS, quickshift apparatus, etc. on the newer bikes. I realize sport bikes show their true differences on the track but street riding can involve a lot of directional changes that would be benefited by a nimble bike. I'm not saying mine is lacking in that aspect but wondered if I'm missing out on something with the new generation.

Unfortunately I don't have the ability to ride a newer one back to back with mine so that's why I rely on your knowledge.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks

·
Hand-Eye Coordinator
6,509 Posts
For street riding, you will notice very little difference in performance.

The K5 IS the best superbike ever made. From 04-05, the difference was astounding and no other manufacturer could compare. Yes, time has passed and it is slow AF compared to new bikes because the new bikes are better in every way, but that betterness was made in increments over more than a decade. K5 was a benchmark. It is the '64 and a half mustang of sportbikes. Park a 65 Shelby in show condition next to a 2019 Shelby and see which one garners the most interest. In 20 years time, collectors will seek out the 05/06 Gixxer 1k and will probably never seek out a 17.

·
Super Moderator
14,938 Posts
I haven't ridden the newer model yet but I have yet to ride around on my bike and feel like I'm missing something. I don't care for the extra power when my bike has more power than I can safely use on the street. Can't really see the point in having 30-40 more HP. Where am I going with those extra ponies? Handling? The bike handles great. It handled great in 2005 and still handles great in 2019. I don't think the electronics would do much for me unless I was actually back to chasing lap times and since my road racing days are behind me, I don't feel the need for modern day gizmos either. I know the new bike is better and faster in every way but for me personally the performance gains would likely be a waste. Honestly most of the performance gains on my own K6 are a waste! I have no intentions of riding this bike the way it was meant to be. Those days are behind me. Got the hat, the T-Shirt, and the trophies. That said, life is short and if you just want a new bike go for it. :thumbup

·
Registered
676 Posts
Since there's no accounting for taste, I think the only thing I'm missing in comparison to the current gen. is 'controlability'
Where the biggest step is made in the electronics used
My K5 already weighs next to nothing, and drags me along for the ride with the power it has anyway, that won't get much 'better' on the newer models
The numbers I would 'feel' on the streets would only be marginally reflected by the numbers I read in the specs

For me personally, I could have gone for something a lot newer, but I don't want more 'controlability', it's not why I chose a motorcycle in the first place
(and yes, I know this will bite me in the ass sooner or later, -it already has a few times- but that's the price I'm willing to pay)

·
Registered
322 Posts
This is something that I always think about, and have discussed with a number of people.

The k5 is an awesome bike, and I love mine. Mine weights 192kg with a full tank of fuel and does 143mph down the 1/4, i can pull a 9.9 second pass with it strapped, i am literally a passenger when it goes that fast. With it not strapped as soon as i get close to the throttle stop, I'm looking at sky as the front wheel just lifts off. Recently I raced a ZX10r, current shape (either gen 5/6), I have ridden one (zx10r) and i know it is capable bike, but its not the same. I flew passed the zx10r as he was waiting for it to 'on', which from my test ride, was about 9500, the k5, as soon as i open it up I got to tuck behind the fairings, the zx10r was not the same. I've also ridden a number of other bikes, current model R1, and a 1199s, I wouldn't trade mine for either of them.

I raced a l7 gsxr1000r at the 1/4, I was 3rd gear, on the throttle stop, I got walked, came past me and there was nothing I cold do about it.

I came to the conclusion, if you want a quicker bike, get the new model, for reliability/cheap parts, daily, I'm keeping my k5, and if i can afford a new bike in the future, then i'll buy a new one, but im not going to get rid of the k5 for it, it'd have to be the k5 plus the other.

·
Super Moderator
14,938 Posts
if i can afford a new bike in the future, then i'll buy a new one, but im not going to get rid of the k5 for it, it'd have to be the k5 plus the other.
Right...any other bike would have to be an addition to the stable. I regrettably sold all of my other gixxers and I refuse to go down that lonely road ever again. :cheers I'll say it again for you, any new bike would be an addition, not a replacement. :thumbup

·
Registered
676 Posts
any new bike would be an addition, not a replacement. :thumbup
Well, I think I'll be seeing a necessity for a "new" bike not too far in the future, since they already established "No Go" zones in certain cities for older diesels
and are now pointing their sights on older gasoline fueled cars to undergo the same treatment,
I have no illusions that sooner or later my pre-Euro3 K5 will become an "Undesirable"

·
Captain Obvious ... because obviously it’s obvious
3,843 Posts
The K5/K6 is loved for its handling. If you can’t even handle the full power of a K6, buying a newer model with 20hp more is going to be nothing more than a dick-swinging session

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
I thought long and hard about buying my last bike K6 only a few month ago.
Previously owing 2 K5's I knew what I was getting.
I was in the market for a new bike but the dealers wanted me to buy a 2017 model and I just couldnt bring myself to buying a 2 year old bike off the showroom floor.
I opted for the very, very low kilometre K6 and I will put money into suspension and brakes and still come out 10k in front and still nevr ride the bike to it's full potential, try as I might.
I read all about the sntatcy throttle and lack of engine braking of the new bikes. I listened to one of my mates whinging about the same issues with the GSXS100S he just bought.
I am over the moon with this K6 and so happy I went down this path.
Still ride the K4, It is like riding a big women, still enormous fun but just a bit squishy.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I thought long and hard about buying my last bike K6 only a few month ago.
Previously owing 2 K5's I knew what I was getting.
I was in the market for a new bike but the dealers wanted me to buy a 2017 model and I just couldnt bring myself to buying a 2 year old bike off the showroom floor.
I opted for the very, very low kilometre K6 and I will put money into suspension and brakes and still come out 10k in front and still nevr ride the bike to it's full potential, try as I might.
I read all about the sntatcy throttle and lack of engine braking of the new bikes. I listened to one of my mates whinging about the same issues with the GSXS100S he just bought.
I am over the moon with this K6 and so happy I went down this path.
Still ride the K4, It is like riding a big women, still enormous fun but just a bit squishy.
Big women are like scooters. They're fun to ride, but you don't want your friends to see you on one. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

·
Registered
38 Posts
the fueling issues are due to manufacturers having to meet the emissions standards - euro4 and such like
I have the gsx-s1000 and it has normal engine braking, as it doesn't have a slipper clutch, I vaguely recall the eng braking being more severe prior to the ecu reflash,
which I believe was due to the fuel cut off that aided emissions when throttle closed.
I'm getting too old and creaky for the arse up head down riding position, so I'm on the older fellas gsxr mainly due to riding position

·
Premium Member
3,573 Posts
I have a question about these newer “L” generation 1K's. I own a K6 and have always loved it. People I run across, who are familiar with the K5 and 6 generation, often comment that they are the "best GSXR 1000's ever made". Obviously evolution has taken place since then so I'm wondering if the K5 & 6 are starting to lose their luster in some of the aspects they're most noted for. That's a broad statement so I'd like to get down to what I'm specifically looking for help with. I'd like opinions mostly on handling. Obviously there is a power, weight and wheelbase difference (to name a few). And of course the exhaust can be dropped from the newer ones to shed some weight. Then comes the choice of an "R" model as well. Since I'm a street rider I'm wondering how the newer bikes maneuver, their "flickabilty", their "turn in" and how they feel in corners over the 5 & 6 generation. I've read and seen many videos stating that the latest generation is a very small and compact bike over some of the previous years. Not sure if they took the 5 & 6 gen into consideration when claiming that. I'm wondering what handling impact this has made if any. And finally, what does the power curve look like on the new bikes? I've always loved the linear nature of my engine. If the L series has more of a top end rush it wouldn't make sense for me on the street.

I've noticed lately that manufacturers are advertising the weight of their bikes in "curb weight" figures. My bike was advertised in "dry weight". If you drop the OEM exhaust on the newer ones, and remove the fluids, etc., what is the "dry" number to compare between the two? I'm assuming there will still be a significant difference given ABS, quickshift apparatus, etc. on the newer bikes. I realize sport bikes show their true differences on the track but street riding can involve a lot of directional changes that would be benefited by a nimble bike. I'm not saying mine is lacking in that aspect but wondered if I'm missing out on something with the new generation.

Unfortunately I don't have the ability to ride a newer one back to back with mine so that's why I rely on your knowledge.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks

meh, owned K5 yllw/back and 04 silver bullet

honestly I really liked the simplistic of the 04 more, radial brakes levers, but simple bodywork, 4pc like the busa was..

just so easy to work on I dreaded doing any sort of anything involving removing of the panels, any of em sides, front, rear.. BS, like a puzzle

gen1 Busa so easy, 04 1K so easy, BOOM! and the oil is changed and plugs done ready to ride before 9 am, 05? OK lemme start at midnight hopefully done by 9 am.. lol no but really and the newer than 05's UGHHH, no thanks

I like a bike that's simple to maintain as well.. I have the anti lock traction control all worked out upstairs thank you

·
Super Moderator
14,938 Posts
gen1 Busa so easy, 04 1K so easy, BOOM! and the oil is changed and plugs done ready to ride before 9 am, 05? OK lemme start at midnight hopefully done by 9 am.. lol no but really and the newer than 05's UGHHH, no thanks

I like a bike that's simple to maintain as well.. I have the anti lock traction control all worked out upstairs thank you
I hear ya man. Ripping the K5/K6 fairings apart is a nightmare. :scared I have no idea what Suzuki was thinking.

The older "4 piece" bikes were definitely much easier and made it actually fun to work on the bike.

·
16,989 Posts

I hear ya man. Ripping the K5/K6 fairings apart is a nightmare. /forums/images/smilies/scared.gif I have no idea what Suzuki was thinking.

The older "4 piece" bikes were definitely much easier and made it actually fun to work on the bike.
+1
I wonder who the genius was that decided to use velcro on the side panel?? :facepalm

·
Registered
388 Posts
Like others, I had seriously thought about selling my K6 a couple of years ago - it would have been my only chance to get a newer bike (probably still not showroom new). But I got to thinking about how little I would get for the K6 now, how much the changeover would cost me, how much I've already spent in parts and upgrades... then considered there is literally nothing wrong with my K6. I can't even come close to using all the power. It is a great bike, I have it dialled and it does everything right. Zero reason to sell it really...

So I am keeping it and just riding the heck out of it (it's a track bike now). I figure that if/when anything lets go in the engine I will still keep the bike and use it as a chance to do some engine mods, maybe overbore if I really feel like I'm wanting more power...

Yes electronics have come a long way and may be the one thing that realistically can make you lap faster on the track - but I figure that's kind of the same as using carbon wheels... the benefit is always going to be there if you upgrade. However in the meantime if you keep improving your skills, it's only going to show more of an improvement if/when you do upgrade!

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not to mention the increased insurance premiums. I inquired shortly after I posted this and my rate would have gone up three fold.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Guys,
I love my K6 1K,too,but let's be honest, there's nothing a flashed ecu can't fix on the newer bikes!

Having said that, I'll try to keep my K6 "forever" (relative term) and every new bike will be an addition.

Lastly, riding technique is far more important than the capabilities of each bike.
My .02 :cool:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
14 Participants
Carnage
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing