Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
73,386 Posts
no, you need a minimum of 91 octane. if you run lower, you will start to ping.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I think 'Detonate' is the word you guys are looking for.

Ping is something we here in IT use to test response times between devices.....The Navy also uses it to determine range to target in underwater scenerios....

Detonation = Premeture Ignition of the Air/Fuel Mixture which intern can cause EXTREME engine damage

Yeah...I'm an idiot

·
Registered
118 Posts
We talked in great detail about this in mechanical engineering school, especially in my class internal combustion engines. The ultimate answer is that everyone's replies are correct. You should not run 89 octane fuel. All fuels have what we call an adiabatic flame temperature. This is a temperature at which fuels spontaneously begin to burn. Putting 89 octane fuel in your high compression engine can cause the fuel to ignite too early and essentially change the timing of your engine. This, as others have mentioned, can do big damage. I hope this helps.

Ian Gilmore
Redline Engineering

·
Registered
156 Posts
i ran 87 and no pinging and no problems for 7k+ miles, i guess where you live and the grade of gas can make a difference, but even most races i know (ccs and wera) use 87 in there litre bikes

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.