Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I recently bought a '15 R1 racebike w/ ohlins internals and an ohlins shock. Needless to say, I flat refuse to go back to my stock suspension on my k5 750 lol. I'm having difficulty sourcing ohlins internals for this bike... it seems like they've been discontinued. I did find k-tech cartridge kits, but I haven't heard anything about them before. Ohlins and Penske shocks are available but not cheap.

I'm probably 220-230 with gear (about 210 without).

I'm willing to go up to hmm idk maybe a bit over $2k for everything... would like to keep the stock fork tubes to stay legal for the AFM legacy superstock class as I'd like to race in it if I can get my lap times low enough.

Any advice is appreciated. I'd hit up my local suspension shop (Catalyst in San Mateo) but they're shut down for a month. I left Dave Moss a voicemail but he's a busy man and will probably never return my call lol. Maybe I can hit him up at his next track day... unfortunately he won't be at Thunderhill this weekend or I'd ask him there (I should've asked him at Laguna Seca this last week; I had him helping me dial in that R1...).

Thanks, all.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Penske triple clicker is good shock to use. Fair bit cheaper than the ohlins too.
I have ohlins cartridges in my bike but the k tech are great too.
Might want to upgrade the steering stabilizer too. Once the front and rear get sorted it starts becoming a weak point. It's pretty old at this point anyway and could use at least an oil change.

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
14,868 Posts
Bitubo might have a cartridge. Call a good suspension shop like Velocity Calibrations and ask for options.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well Dave Moss actually returned my call! I was rather unprepared though and forgot to ask about revalve kits. I'll likely just go with the K-tech cartridge kit but it looks like a revalve kit would be a lot cheaper. He mentioned Andriani, Bitubo, GP and Nitron but it looks like it's the same deal as Ohlins for most of those options: discontinued/unavailable. He also mentioned that the Penske shocks require annual servicing, which inclines me to lean more towards Ohlins. Regarding the steering damper... yeah, I just noticed that it's weeping oil, so it's toast. Never did seem to do much for me but as boostenlebaron mentioned, now that the suspension is dialed in after Moss helped me with setup, headshake is definitely more of a thing (I've always just dealt with it and never paid it much mind, but now that those lap time gains at the track are getting harder to come by, I guess every little bit counts and every headshake event is slowing me down).

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
An ohlins steering dampener is a nice add on. It's not too expensive either and can be adjusted on the fly if you needed too.

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
14,868 Posts
Unless Moss put hands on your bike and you've done a hundred laps with some tweaks, you're not dialed in.

Just the downside of an old bike. I have racetech internals in my stock suspension. Seems to do ok. And Ohlins shocks/forks need annual rebuild. They're just no so pretentious to need to mention it like a regular service is something special.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts