Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all. I'm back on a bike after ten years away. Life and family pressure means time and funds are limited, so I picked up a 2005 750 with 17k miles on it. When I was riding a lot over a decade ago, I had a soft spot for these fiddys, but never owned one. For me, half the pleasure of owning a bike is working on it, so the plan is to give it a good once over, add some nice bits and end up with a sunny Sunday and track-day bike.

It's neat already, but I've been collecting a few deals on eBay over the last few months, so here's what it's getting:

-A good clean
-Full service and valve clearances
-OZ wheels with Brembo 320mm discs
-Penske triple-clicker rear shock
-HEL billet MC
-R1 calipers
-PCIII and quick-shifter
-Harris rearsets
-Woodcraft clip-ons
-Silicone hoses
-K5 1000 headers with an Arrow carbon can
-Some other odds and ends

Most of the gear is bolt-on, but the wheel-conversion is a little bit of work. I've CADed up the spacers I need and they're being made next week.

Oh, and I don't have a garage, so all the work has to be done outside. :p

I've attached a pic of the bike as it started.

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Today I cleaned up the radiator. It was filthy. I soaked it and then gave it a quick scrub with a toothbrush and degreaser. It's still not perfect, but a huge amount of crud washed off it. Then I have it a quick coat of tough black and a DIY stainless rad guard. The fan cage on the back was also starting to rust, so it got some wire-brushing and then some tough black.

BEFORE:

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
Nice bike good luck with all the upgrades 2 yrs ago I was in the same boat I have not rode a bike in about 10 yrs I picked up a 2000 gsxr 750 it ran good for a while started to give me issues I sold it and was shopping for a 04-05 750 on a budget i am not a fan of the 06 up 750’s the ride positioned changed everything got smaller and uncomfortable while shopping I found a deal on a 06 1000 it had more miles than I liked but it’s a beast it runs awsome! It was pretty stock besides a slip on 2brothers witch is nice but I’m looking to upgrade to a underbody voodoo preferred but a hot bodies or another is fine I put on a gel seat witch looks awsome and is a huge upgrade in comfort over stock but my next focused upgrade besides a tuner or Ecu flash( I haven’t decided yet) is the wheels I wouldn’t mind a stock 3 spoke chrome (currently have black) but I keep seeing these 5 and 6 spoke spidered wheels like yours I want to look into I’m not sure if they require a swing arm change or wat they cost I’d like a bolt on to my stock swing arm if anyone has chrome wheels for a k6 1000 for sale lmk please

·
Uses squid tentacles as a butt-plug
262 Posts
Nice bike good luck with all the upgrades 2 yrs ago I was in the same boat I have not rode a bike in about 10 yrs I picked up a 2000 gsxr 750 it ran good for a while started to give me issues I sold it and was shopping for a 04-05 750 on a budget i am not a fan of the 06 up 750’s the ride positioned changed everything got smaller and uncomfortable while shopping I found a deal on a 06 1000 it had more miles than I liked but it’s a beast it runs awsome! It was pretty stock besides a slip on 2brothers witch is nice but I’m looking to upgrade to a underbody voodoo preferred but a hot bodies or another is fine I put on a gel seat witch looks awsome and is a huge upgrade in comfort over stock but my next focused upgrade besides a tuner or Ecu flash( I haven’t decided yet) is the wheels I wouldn’t mind a stock 3 spoke chrome (currently have black) but I keep seeing these 5 and 6 spoke spidered wheels like yours I want to look into I’m not sure if they require a swing arm change or wat they cost I’d like a bolt on to my stock swing arm if anyone has chrome wheels for a k6 1000 for sale lmk please
Id prioritize that voodoo upgrade above paying rent if you value your bike and dont want it to start on fire haha.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This morning I checked the valve clearances and removed the PAIR system. I put a 1kOhm resistor over the solenoid pins as per the interwebs, so hopefully no codes will be thrown. I'm still waiting on the silicone blanking caps for the two reed valves and the airbox.

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
This weekend I installed the silicone blanking caps on the PAIR valves and the airbox.

Then I reassembled and installed the new shock and the powder-coated swingarm. New chain buffer. New bearings and plenty of grease all round! I have some difficulty because of the thick powder-coating on the faces that meet the chassis, so I had to remove that. But overall pretty easy.

Progress!

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This week the last of my wheel spacers for the conversion came in. So this morning I put in all the new bearings, spacers and seals in the wheels and sprocket carrier. I also swapped the old steel AFAM 42T on the rear to a new 43T alloy one. Big weight difference! I'd probably just have gone with a steel rear, but this is what came in the chain + sprockets kit I bought.

I've included a photo of the aftermath of a full bearing and seal change on swingarm, shock linkage, wheels and carrier! O_O

Progress!

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
Awsome that will be a sweet bike when ur done. When ur done greasing all the wheel bearings and axles u can do mine next haha!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
About this Discussion
55 Replies
16 Participants
proze
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing