Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out earlier today and practiced some wheelies on my k5. Here's what I observed...

In 1st gear, any rpm and it shoots for the sky, I can get it to come up at 3000 rpm even.
2nd gear, I have to bounc it pretty damn hard, sometimes twice to get it to come up. Gotta work on my technique a little and should be a lot more consistant.
3rd gear... Im-freaking-possible without major clutching (I suck at clutching). I couldn't get it to come up no matter what.

I'm pretty new to wheelies. I thought with liter bikes it would be a lot easier?

Any advice? I noticed that I would stiffen up pretty hard when the front starts comming up. Would that have any effect?

I read all the articles, but they just discount my findings and say I should be able to power up 2nd no problem. Is there something I could do with this particular bike to make it easier?

·
Registered
520 Posts
thats BS we were doing roll ons on the highway between a BUS and a 05 1k, the guy on the 1k was doing everything he could to keep the frount end down with only power in 3rd gear at like 70.

·
Registered
886 Posts
thats BS we were doing roll ons on the highway between a BUS and a 05 1k, the guy on the 1k was doing everything he could to keep the frount end down with only power in 3rd gear at like 70.
Have you ever thought of the riders weight?

Maybe that guy ^^^ is a fat ass.

Either way. In 2nd gear this thing comes up like nothing for me... ( im 180lbs)

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Yeah my 03 will throttle up easily in 2nd, 05s have more power and are a tad lighter, should come up even easier. (haven't ridden one myself yet so can't really say for sure)

As far as suspension goes, yes, a stiffer suspension will help get it up easier, as a too-soft suspension tends to absorb the energy that would otherwise be lifting the front wheel. I wouldn't set my suspension extra stiff just for that though. But stock suspension is usually set on the soft side to begin with. What you really should do is get the sag set properly for your weight, and adjust the clickers from there. Your bike will perform better in all situations, (well except it will ride a little harsher, obviously) and as a side effect, wheelie/stoppie easier.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm about 210lb with gear on.

Maybe it's just down on power... I mean, once it gets past the initial 3 or so inches, it lifts hard, but I can go full throttle in 2nd gear and it will NOT lift. I don't even get headshake.

·
Registered
886 Posts
riders weight has nothing to do with it...my best friend rode an 05 1k and with a little clutch bannged up fuckin 5th gear at like 55mph...its all in the rev range and how you do it.
so you are saying a person who is 300lbs is going to be able to power wheelie just as easy as someone who is 170?

I think not. Now clutching is a whole different story. But he said power.

Either way its a freakin 1k. It should come up w/ ease in 2nd.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
It's all in the body english. I can make mine come up easily under power in 2nd, or stay totally down, depending on body position etc.

1st is another matter... I think I could sit on the front fender and still not be able to WOT in 1st without wheelieing.

·
Registered
886 Posts
It's all in the body english. I can make mine come up easily under power in 2nd, or stay totally down, depending on body position etc.

1st is another matter... I think I could sit on the front fender and still not be able to WOT in 1st without wheelieing.
Yeh... my 1st and 2nd wont stay down under power.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
im almost 300 (280 or so right now) and with a pretty good yank on the bars, i can wheelie mine in third...no clutch...no problem

·
Registered
623 Posts
riders weight has nothing to do with it...my best friend rode an 05 1k and with a little clutch bannged up fuckin 5th gear at like 55mph...its all in the rev range and how you do it.
so you are saying a person who is 300lbs is going to be able to power wheelie just as easy as someone who is 170?

absofreakinlutely. Honestly if you really weight that much you could very easily use that weijght to your advantage and make it easier to wheelie. BESIDES the fact, we are talking about a 160+hp MONSTER. The thing will wheelie in any gear, and will wheelie in almost every gear under power...anyone having problems powering up 2nd or 3rd gear on it has no business even trying to wheelie that machine and should ponder learning on something smaller before wadding up such a beautiful piece of art.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

absofreakinlutely. Honestly if you really weight that much you could very easily use that weijght to your advantage and make it easier to wheelie. BESIDES the fact, we are talking about a 160+hp MONSTER. The thing will wheelie in any gear, and will wheelie in almost every gear under power...anyone having problems powering up 2nd or 3rd gear on it has no business even trying to wheelie that machine and should ponder learning on something smaller before wadding up such a beautiful piece of art.
Give me a break man, the bike just won't lift in 2nd. I have to use it like a pogo stick to get it to come up on power. Maybe it's down on power, maybe it's the suspension, maybe the it's the air temperature. The bike just WILL NOT LIFT.

I'm going to pick up a power commander next month and get a baseline before putting it in, so I'll know the whole story.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Give me a break man, the bike just won't lift in 2nd. I have to use it like a pogo stick to get it to come up on power. Maybe it's down on power, maybe it's the suspension, maybe the it's the air temperature. The bike just WILL NOT LIFT.
yes, it most certainly will...
maybe its your technique.....not flaming bro..just takes some practice.....

·
Registered
886 Posts
Practice man...

And try to get the clutching down... why bounce and all that jaz when you can just clutch it?

You will get it in no time!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm an idiot...

I keep my weight mainly on the seat and bars when I should keep 80 to 90% of it on the pegs...

·
Registered
344 Posts
Dude, I can throttle chop my 600 in third and it'll come up no problem. Maybe you're just not being aggressive enough. Maybe you're not hamming it as much as you should be.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm not worried about looping at all (I have the brake covered and with the compression braking of this thing...), I just dont want to slam the front end down and blow out the fork seals.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Dude, I can throttle chop my 600 in third and it'll come up no problem. Maybe you're just not being aggressive enough. Maybe you're not hamming it as much as you should be.
How do you sit on the bike?

How is your weight distributed between the bars, seats and pegs?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts