Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
215 Posts
Had my new bike for just two weeks and just got past my first maintance and got it stolen from in front of my girl's house. Had a disc lock and everything. This sucks.
sorry to hear that...but you got to get up with the latest theft techniques.
They pick the bike up and throw it in the back of a truck/van. Disk locks are useless.
chain it to something secure and invest in GPS tracking
its worth it

· Registered
215 Posts
Disk locks are useless.
chain it to something secure and invest in GPS tracking
its worth it
What kind of GPS devise are you referreing too?
there are quite a few but the ones you can track on the computer and it sends you messages to your phone and pager when the bike is stolen...you can go right to where you bike is and get it back.
here are a few links to decent motorcycle theft tracking
http://www.talonalarms.com/index.html
http://www.cycletrak.com/
http://www.phantomtracking.com
http://www.unitracking.com/

· Registered
370 Posts
Had my new bike for just two weeks and just got past my first maintance and got it stolen from in front of my girl's house. Had a disc lock and everything. This sucks.
I feel your pain. My K5 was stolen with only 250 miles on the odometer. I also had a disc lock on the bike as well as a ground anchor. All they did was cut the cable, pick the bike up and put it in a truck or van. My Stolen K5 thread

I've learned plenty since my bike was stolen:

1) Never let the bike out of your site. It only takes about 30 seconds for them to lift your bike up and put it into a van.
2) Purchase an alarm (If you must have the bike out of your site)
3) Purchase a heavy duty chain ($100+). My next bike will be kept in storage but while I’m home (bathroom or between rides) with the bike, the bike will be anchored to a couple of engine blocks weighing at about 150lbs each (or more). The chain that I’m buying cannot be cut without power tools. So either the thieves have to make some noise or they are going to have to pick up a 425 pound bike along with a 300lbs worth of engine blocks. My bike will also be anchored to the ground. I’m even going to put an engine block into my storage spot.

Good luck on getting another bike. There appears to be a K5 1000 shortage (at least in new york) .

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Have you checked out any good GPS alarms yet? I like the look of the Phantom alarm but they dont offer it in VA yet. Already went to the dealer and have another deposit on another bike and they said when I have my check they will have the bike.

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Have you found a good GPS alarm yet? I would like the Phantom but they dont offer it in MD. Any help would be great. They dealer is out there finding me one right now. they said by the time the insurance check gets through they should have it.

· Squid
1,583 Posts
Im waiting for the tracking systems to get small enough to front as the ECU while I mount the ECU on the bottom of the tank or something.

Its just too risky to have them lift the seat and pull out your shit before you can prove where it is.

I think they should incorporate in inner rim tracker, that has a belt around the inside of your rim, with a weight on one side and the electronics on the other. That way they couldn't get your shit off or even know its there. They have systems like this for monitoring tire pressure, so it is possible.

Make it kineticly powered like a seiko watch or something. You roll, it charges.

· Registered
215 Posts
Im waiting for the tracking systems to get small enough to front as the ECU while I mount the ECU on the bottom of the tank or something.

Its just too risky to have them lift the seat and pull out your shit before you can prove where it is.

I think they should incorporate in inner rim tracker, that has a belt around the inside of your rim, with a weight on one side and the electronics on the other. That way they couldn't get your shit off or even know its there. They have systems like this for monitoring tire pressure, so it is possible.

Make it kineticly powered like a seiko watch or something. You roll, it charges.
actually you can mount the device in a little pocket next to the engine...there is no way they will be able to tell that its there unless the are looking for something out of the ordinary.
It blends right in and looks like its part of the motor.

· Registered
92 Posts
Have you checked out any good GPS alarms yet? I like the look of the Phantom alarm but they dont offer it in VA yet. Already went to the dealer and have another deposit on another bike and they said when I have my check they will have the bike.
they just came out with Low Jack for bikes. Im in Florida and its available here. I would look into it. My first K5 was also stolen with only 600 miles on it. Im on number two now. Good Luck.

· Registered
51 Posts
The chain that I’m buying cannot be cut without power tools.
Oh, what chain would that be? Hope you are not talking about the Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit. I've owned 3 bikes that have been stolen, two of which were locked down to the metal support beams of my garage using top of the line chains from Kryptonite. The thieves simply pulled out a 3' long bolt cutter and snipped right through them like butter; no grinding or torches required. Don't believe the hype there is no chain sold that a thief can't get through, with the exception of cruiseline size boat anchor chains.
Don't belive me? Buy your chain then head down to Home Depot and rent a Bolt cutter for $15 and try to cut your chain with it. If the chain is really as strong as you claim the bolt cutter won't hurt it, and you'll have your piece of mind...

· Registered
370 Posts
The chain that I’m buying cannot be cut without power tools.
Oh, what chain would that be? Hope you are not talking about the Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit. I've owned 3 bikes that have been stolen, two of which were locked down to the metal support beams of my garage using top of the line chains from Kryptonite. The thieves simply pulled out a 3' long bolt cutter and snipped right through them like butter; no grinding or torches required. Don't believe the hype there is no chain sold that a thief can't get through, with the exception of cruiseline size boat anchor chains.
Don't belive me? Buy your chain then head down to Home Depot and rent a Bolt cutter for $15 and try to cut your chain with it. If the chain is really as strong as you claim the bolt cutter won't hurt it, and you'll have your piece of mind...
Thanks. I'll try that. I have a friend that works for the cable company. The cable company issues bolt cutters as a part of thier tool kit. The chain that i have is the 5018 Chain Lock

· Registered
580 Posts
yup, that chain is nothing special. Unless its got 40000000000000000000000 tinsel strenth, its just as usless of the rest of the locks. I gave up on locking it at work, and just leave the fucker at home....too bad, cause gas is killing me.

· Registered
51 Posts
Please don't be like me and learn the hard way. I spent almost $400 on chains that didn't stand up against a basic cutting tool. I do believe in locking the bike, but this should not be your only defense. Multiple defenses are you best bet, here are a few, and the more you use the better off you are.
1. Cover the bike
2. Disc lock
3. Ground anchor
4. Wheel boot
5. Alarm
6. Chains/ the more the better
7. GPS tracking
8. Motion lights near the bike
9. Baby monitor in the trunk so you can hear the bike being moved
10. block the bike in with a car
11. security camera

· Registered
145 Posts
im all for remote detonation . bike is stolen u sdee it is stolen u type the code and a small nuclear bomb in ur bike goes off killing the scum bags. (i got the idea from STICKDEATH.com and there car alarms)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.