Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Is Sexually Attracted To The Guys on GDC
21,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well a few weeks ago, i bought a set of k5 mirrors. I thought that they would be a direct bolt in, but i was wrong. The wiring harness is the same, it just needs to be extended

the problem hooking them right up, is that on the 1k mirrors, they have threads on them with removable nuts, but the threads are part of the mirror assembly, whereas the 04-05 750 mirrors have bolts, with threads in the fairing stay.

so what i did was i drilled out the threads on the fairing stay, and thread the nut from there

my next problem was, there was no hole in the upper fairing for the wire. so i will need to drill a little hole, and run the wires down to where the factory wiring is

here it is before the holes drilled

and finally, all mounted up

it is not complete yet, i still need to extend the wires, and put everything back togehter. I will prolly do that over the weekend. I will post pics of the finish product when done

what do you guys think so far??

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
that was my idea you beat me to it, looks awesome, want to see those mirrors in action.

Scott

·
21,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
that was my idea you beat me to it, looks awesome, want to see those mirrors in action.

Scott
actually, i was thinking about doing this when i first saw the bike months ago, but it wasnt till recently that i actually found the mirrors, or i would have done it awhile ago.

the only thing i have to think about is how to cover up the hole from the stock signals. i am thinking some fiberglass and paint, but im not worried aobu that yet. Did you have any ideas on how to do that?

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Just use an ABS plastic patch panel, and either glue (panel bond) or plastic weld it, and then do the body work, and paint. Or you could be a hack, put some duct tape on the back of the signal, and pack it full of duraglass and then prime and paint.

Scott

·
21,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just use an ABS plastic patch panel, and either glue (panel bond) or plastic weld it, and then do the body work, and paint. Or you could be a hack, put some duct tape on the back of the signal, and pack it full of duraglass and then prime and paint.

Scott
i have never actually worked with abs, but im a champ with fiberglass
, thats why i was going to do that. Is abs easier to work with??

·
21,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks good... How much? and are the mirrors adjustable?

no, the mirrors actually suck. The mirror is smaller than stock, and it doesnt adjust too well. I did not buy it for adjustability, (i usually just look over my sholders) i really bought it for looks, and uniqueness

got the mirrors off someone on the board, but i think they are like 250 each form suzuki, or so i have heard

·
Registered
404 Posts
Im sure some people on the K5's would trade you straight up for your 750/600 mirrors.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
i've heard bad reviews about those new k5 mirrors since they are not as adjustable as ours are...they look cool but...i dunno... i think i wouldnt get them for my self..

post a pic of the finish product when you are done!

·
Registered
297 Posts
looking sweet so far, can't wait to see the finished product on the bike!!!

·
21,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yea, i have been slacking on the pics, ill get them up

·
Registered
605 Posts
Great work so far dude, I always use my mirrors 750 K4 would suck for me not being able
to adjust them. Post some pics when u r done.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Wow... I'm sorry but those look horrible...

On the 1k they look bad enough.

Now they just look homosexual on the 600/750

·
Registered
122 Posts
I wouldn't say they look horrible, but I do think that this is a lot of work for not much extra wow factor. I thought the idea was cool when those first came out too, but now that I see what is involved with it I don't believe this change is worth the effort IMO.

Can't wait to see the finished product on the bike though. I'm sure you will be proud of them. I just hope that others appreciate the work that went into them.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I got some pictures here, because apparently Jimbo can't get his finger out of his ass.
j/p. I got these not only for the hotness factor, but for the visibility. I previously ordered the Watsens flush mounts, and they are VERY nice parts, but they just aren't bright enough to be useful. They look great, but are invisible in the daytime. Now I’m rocking both.

The install was easy, I didn't pull my fairing or anything. I just drilled out the old mirror holes, and use the nuts that it comes with on the other side. You can re use the hardware and bolt up your old mirrors in a snap and it would be unnoticeable. (See the two silver nuts) (lol nuts)

They are angled downwards, and there is nothing you can do about it. It gives kind of a droopy look compared to the stock, but I think it looks fine.

Please pay no attention to the ugly / slow Kawi in the background.

And here are a couple of movie clips. It's dark in the garage, but during the day you can clearly see how much brighter they are than the Watsens. I threw in a big resistor to slow down the blink rate, but now i'm thinking it may be a little too slow. Thoughts?

Movie - Front
Movie - Right

If anyone wants a set, drop a line to [email protected] - that is where I got mine. He's cool as hell and has a few extra sets. These things are $250 each at the dealership and they are on back order. He gave me mine for $150, but once he put a set up on ebay it went for about $200 so expect to pay around there.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts