Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got an 03 gixxer 1k. I always gotta add oil to it. It puffs smoke when I blip the throttle. Anyone got any clues? Its stock with k&n and a Mig slip on.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Do a compression and leak down test. It will tell you if it's the rings or valves.
My K3 uses no oil whatsoever between 5,000 km oil changes and it was run in by the book.

·
Registered
415 Posts
My K3 uses no oil between 5000+ oil changes and I broke it in on the dyno with 7 miles on the clock.

Sounds like somebody either neglected or beat the shit out of your bike.

How hard is it to do rings? In a word, hard. It wouldn't surprise me if the motor has to be removed from the frame. If it's the valves, chances are you can remove the head with the engine still n the bike. Of course, I've never had the misfortune of having to replace rings or valve guides on a bike, so this is speculation.

Put some heavy weight oil in it so it hopefully won't smoke (as much) and try to find an unsuspecting dealer who will take it off your hands. Ugh.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Rings sound fugged.....while the donk is out, might as well go bigger....
S

·
Premium Member
73,384 Posts
it could either be your rings or your valve seals. like was said before, the only way to tell which one is to do a compression and a leakdown test. if your compression is low, your rings are shot. if you get a lot of leakdown, it is your valve seals. my 03 doesn't ever burn any oil between my 3k mile oil changes.

·
Registered
147 Posts
How many miles do you have on the bike?? My 03 gixxer has 19,000 miles and I have to add a little oil sometimes.. the dealer says this is normal for a bike that has been ridden even remotly hard.. I have no white smoke tough..

·
Premium Member
4,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ill do the compression and leak down test. Ive done rings on a BMW before and it wasnt that hard. Well see what comes out of it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts