Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I picked up my new GSXR1000K4 last thursday. It was an ex-demo bike with 1500km. It might have been flogged by testriders/weekend bike salesmen but im not sure.
It has (ever since I got it) a tappet/timing chain/engine pinging/detonation at exactly 3500rpm and continues until 4000rpm and it then goes out of it.
It does it in every gear doesnt matter how much load.
It sound really like loose tappets to me but I can't tell exactly.
Could it just be really lean and need remapping?
I live on the bay at sea level. Does anyone else with a K4 have this problem??
I don't know if I should take it back to them for a warranty claim?

Any help would be greatly appeciated.
Luke

·
Registered
915 Posts
common for failure yes, but do this, go find another gix 1k, 03 or 04, listen to it, its a good chance it sounds like yours... the top end on every one ive ever heard is loud, louder than my 01 750 was, it bothered me but after hearing about 5 that sounded the same as mine, it kindof calmed the nerves

·
Registered
961 Posts
Is the noise still there when the engine is up to operating temperature? Mine does it when the engine is cold. It's piston slap. Nothing to worry about. A change to 15W50 reduced the noise when cold.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a same probleme but my engine is slap on idle, slow rpm , the soud is loud end iregulated toc......toc.toc ...............toc exemple
the sound seem under tank gas im not sure
i d'ont no if this sound is normal ??? i have a gixxer 1000 k3 . i'm freak the motor toasted

·
Registered
11 Posts
What is reliability a long term , piston slap is normal ? mmmmmm i'm not sure about this
but anaway my bike is a monster

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No bike does it when its cold or warmed up. im going to put it on the dyno soon hopefully so ill check the mixtures 3500-4000rpm i think it might be lean.
im going to change the oil & filter tomorrow so it might fix it. Ill let everyone know.

·
Registered
961 Posts
No bike does it when its cold or warmed up. im going to put it on the dyno soon hopefully so ill check the mixtures 3500-4000rpm i think it might be lean.
im going to change the oil & filter tomorrow so it might fix it. Ill let everyone know.
Is the noise still there when you are just coasting along with little or no load on the engine between 3.5-4 krpm? When the engine is cold she sounds between 3.5-4krpm like a diesel.
The oil change to Castrol Active 4T 15W50 (mineral bike oil) made the noise nearly disappear.
Trust me it's nothing to worry about. Most k3/4s do it. It's normal.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
cool. i noticed it does it even on decel so that rules out pinging or engine knock.
im not sure what oil is in the bike at the moment. its got 2700km on it now and it probably still has the original oil in it.

would you guys recommend a k&n filter or a genuine suzuki filter?

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Piston slap?? Are u serious?? Switch to 15w50??? Ur kidding, right??

These engines make noise. Go listen to or ride another 1k. Bet u hear the same noise.

When u rev your engine, it will produce diff vibrations at different rpm's. It will make noise as u shift gears, or get on the brakes. The bike makes nosie!! The engine may be casing something that is loose to vibarte when it gets at that rpm. Or its just a normal sound. If u got some miles on the bike, do a good valve clearnce check and throttle body sync. If the noise starts to get worse, then begin to look into it further.

D

ohh ya, use the O.E.M. filter

·
Registered
565 Posts
cool. i noticed it does it even on decel so that rules out pinging or engine knock.
im not sure what oil is in the bike at the moment. its got 2700km on it now and it probably still has the original oil in it.

original oil at 2700 i know that kilo are not miles but stil thats a lil high right?

·
Registered
6,186 Posts

original oil at 2700 i know that kilo are not miles but stil thats a lil high right?
I for sure wouldn't sleep well if I knew my bike had the original oil in it at 2700 km's

I have minimum 3 changes before reaching 2000 km's. using mineral oil in the first two before switching to semi-synth and later full synth.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts