Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m new here and to the forum world but I have a k4 1000 and I’ve had it for like 4 months or so and the electric fans have never came on. Is there a way to set the temp they turn on at manually? The bike has never reached over like 210 degrees witch I though should have been plenty hot enough for them too anybody got any ideas?

·
Premium Member
7,706 Posts
welp they come on at whatever 212-222f or so? varies fans? are there more then one? yes you can get a manual fan switch off ebay plug n play and turn it on whenever, its the engine isn't going over 210 wy turn cooling fan on that's operating temp?

let it idle till temps climbs to no more than 215F or so, of fans dont come on ride it get air through it cool it back down..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
welp they come on at whatever 212-222f or so? varies fans? are there more then one? yes you can get a manual fan switch off ebay plug n play and turn it on whenever, its the engine isn't going over 210 wy turn cooling fan on that's operating temp?

let it idle till temps climbs to no more than 215F or so, of fans dont come on ride it get air through it cool it back down..
My bike runs around 160 /164 just cruising around town so I guess 210 seemed high to me this is my first rocket so I’m learning things hear and there lol

·
Registered
103 Posts
160/164 is low for a moving bike, unless maybe it's freezing out. Operating temp for most while moving is 180, give or take 10 (depending on ambient temp).

On my inline 4 bikes fans turn on around 220. Once fans turn you temp should not rise more than a couple and start going down.

On an 80 degree day if you just let it idle temp should go up until fans kick on. This doesn't harm anything.

·
Registered
GSX-R750
152 Posts
That's strange you mention it running at 160 ish. I had a brand new '19 ZX-6R that did the same thing. On the freeway, it sat right at high 150s. I thought that was the weirdest thing, but I guess it was supposed to be that way. I figured the thermostat was designed to probably operate at maybe 170-180, but maybe just the dash reading was not calibrated or something.... Or maybe it was accurate and it's some designed operation mode. Interesting also you say that it only ever gets to maybe 210. My ZX6 would shoot up to 220 with any long stop lights within a minute or so, and fans would absolutely kick on and I would know because I felt it on my arms and legs. Then once you set off, it would drop right back to 160-180.

+1 let it idle until they come on. If they really aren't on by 220F then you probably need to get the multimeter out and start probing wires for voltage, and testing then fan with a random 12v battery.

-Mike

·
Premium Member
7,706 Posts
in death valley when its 130ish fans never go off, faster you go the hotter it gets, brutal, spring, winter, fall

get yourself a lazer temp gauge,make sure all temps are jiving and sensors/stat are not failing whatever..

you want to gain access to the thermostat housing then then the temp sensor housing.. from cold fire her up and let idle as temp climbs read the thermo and tempo sensor housing tempos, compare with gauge..

then check that your thermo is opening at around 185 f ... then as temp increases pay attention to fan action and the temp sensor readings make sure its all jiving.. lazer sensors make this abreeze anymore, formulate your own curve for determining when the thermostat opens and allows water through, such as hand on hose whatever..

find your manual the cooling system diagram, note direction of coolant flow, so you want to inspect the hose downstream of thermostat right? familiarize yourself with the system.. wont hurt, real simple the bay has like an $11 lazer sensor works very well i have 2 and they are reliable

1 - 7 of 7 Posts