Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1 down in the front or 2 up in the back?
I need to know pros and cons of each..I realize the pros and cons of any sprocket swap but im talking about stuff like adding more stress on the tranny one way or the other...anything like that is what im looking for...im just looking for a little more pep and i see that most people do two up, but it seems going one down is cheaper and easier...thanks for the help

·
Highly unstable
32,025 Posts
one down is cheaper, but not easier. there is more work required to change that sprocket out. but it will add more stress to the countershaft, and will increase chain wear.. i prefer to not go one down in the front.. the most you can get out of your stock chain will be +2 on the rear. +3 wont fit with the stock chain. +2 is also nice gearing for the street. -1 up front is about = to +3 on the rear which isnt bad, but just a tad short for my taste on the street. it creates a lot of buzz in the pegs, and clipons for highway cruising to the point of my one foot falling asleep.

·
Premium Member
73,384 Posts
i am -1, +2, and while the acceleration is great, the top speed is only about 163-165. i will be going to a stock tooth front, and a +2 rear this year. while you are at it do a 520 conversion.

as for added stress, i have heard that going with a smaller front sprocket increases chain wear since it has to turn at a more severe angle.

·
Premium Member
41,723 Posts
If your asking us to help you choose one or the other, my vote is 2 up in the rear. Its easier on your chain.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
as slight a difference as it is.....
going up in back will shorten your wheelbase, while going down up front will lengthen it...
again, small changes, but changes nonetheless

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i think i'm just gonna go down one in the front...the sprocket is cheap enough and i dont have to modify the chain...when im ready to do it right (520 conversion) ill go two or maybe three up in the back and stock front...thanks for the help...oh and i should need the longer wheelbase too lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts