Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
C'mon guys, the only forum I used to look forward to was the gsxr1000 forum. Now I'm sick of it. The only thing talked about now is the "05". Seriously, there should be a new forum for the 05. It deserves it, its the fastest, lightest, most race ready machine on the street. But for us k3 and k4 owners that didnt get a chance to get the new one, we are left in the dark. Its depressing. The k3-k4 was an amazing machine just months ago, please dont forget us. And at least our frames are'nt breaking.
haha just kidding.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah I also had a k2 that I absolutely loved. I actually enjoyed the performance of the k2 more than the k4. But I love the styling of the k4.

·
Registered
43 Posts
This was the picture that make me order an bike like this in 2001. It was the bike that make a big smile inside my helmet when the frontwheel was leaving the ground in 110 mph on just the trottle pure orginal. I also remember many of you here said the k3 were not so fine when its not have the light side by side any longer. But all the range k1 to the k5 are great bikes in my opinion.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now thats what i'm talkin about. Of course the k5 is a huge hit and its gonna get alot of posting, but that doesnt mean us "old" gixxer owners need to stop. Show off those bikes guys! (and girls)

·
Registered
941 Posts
I've got a K1 and a K4 and love them both....Rock on......

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Hi Guys,
I have a K2. Spent a lot of time on K3 before buying the K2 - but to say the performance between the two bikes was noticeable was....well bugger all really.
I know that K5 owners are not going to like this - but seriously - any slightly modded K1-K4 will put out more HP and be faster than a stock k5. The difference's between the bikes is noticeable by top flight racers. How many people could really tell the diffference between radial brakes and a good set up conventional system ? - If you answer I can - your bloody kidding yerself.
How many people buy the 05 bike because it's the newest bike - heaps and heaps, can they ride it ? - maybe / maybe not....it's taken me a fair amount of time to become "fastish" on my K2. If I buy a K5 - I am starting the experience all over again, and again, experience WILL beat non experience at the track. If the K5 rider spends 6 months on his bike, and you spend 6 MORE months on your older bike - you are still going to be 6 months MORE experienced and familiar...
Another thing is the slipper clutch modification on the K5 - How many people really, really think they know how to ride well enough to warrant one ? - Bugger all I bet - Ask yourself this, on track days, how many times have you had the back wheel completely locked up - thru stamping down the gears with the revs bouncing at 9 or 10K ?? Not too many i would think...These all new developments are great - do not get me wrong - but believe me when I say, a competent rider will still blow 99% of riders away on a well set up K1 - your mission is too become closer to being that 1%......Customise YOUR bike to fit YOU!!!
Cheers Si.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Well honestly, I wanted to junp on the 05 bandwagon, badder then anyone. But I am not to fond of the rear, and honest didn't ( in my very short sit down at a dealer ) feel I would be comfortable on it. the lattter weighing heavily on my decision to not pony up for one. I genuinely love my 03. And Si 9 has a very good point! ( well said. )
BTW jones, I really like that exhaust, do you have any full size pics you could send me? looks Great!

·
Squid
3,566 Posts
The look of the k5 is just one step closer to that pussified yamaha getup. What if you want aftermarket signals? What if you don't want bmw-esque signal mirrors? This bike is going to look like the VFR in a few years. D.A.T.E.D.

Suzuki should have done what they do best and kept it simple. Frame wheels and engine -- Skin it up and sell it. They've always been about the meat and potatoes of high performance and the current design kind of subtracts from that. I mean, it looks like a Yamaha GSXR 1000. The k4 is the last, and best looking gixxer in my opinion, admittedly I own it. In regards to Si's post, its true about the slipper clutches. Besides, I hear they fail when you really do stomp down through the box at high rpms.

Mechanicaly I won't deny the k5 is superior, but I think they could have dressed it more appropriately. Suzuki started this shit and now they're just a butthole exhaust away from following yamaha / honda who both jumped on this gravy train with a cad program and a room full of engineers long after Suzuki hit the road with motorcycles.

If I could have the block and the head of the k5 on my k4 engine, I'd be set. I'll probably end up getting my credit limit raised and just throwing a supercharger on it anyway.

I think there should be a seperate k5 forum too. And update the 750/600 forum to reflect this model year.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hi Guys,
I have a K2. Spent a lot of time on K3 before buying the K2 - but to say the performance between the two bikes was noticeable was....well bugger all really.
I know that K5 owners are not going to like this - but seriously - any slightly modded K1-K4 will put out more HP and be faster than a stock k5. The difference's between the bikes is noticeable by top flight racers. How many people could really tell the diffference between radial brakes and a good set up conventional system ? - If you answer I can - your bloody kidding yerself.
How many people buy the 05 bike because it's the newest bike - heaps and heaps, can they ride it ? - maybe / maybe not....it's taken me a fair amount of time to become "fastish" on my K2. If I buy a K5 - I am starting the experience all over again, and again, experience WILL beat non experience at the track. If the K5 rider spends 6 months on his bike, and you spend 6 MORE months on your older bike - you are still going to be 6 months MORE experienced and familiar...
Another thing is the slipper clutch modification on the K5 - How many people really, really think they know how to ride well enough to warrant one ? - Bugger all I bet - Ask yourself this, on track days, how many times have you had the back wheel completely locked up - thru stamping down the gears with the revs bouncing at 9 or 10K ?? Not too many i would think...These all new developments are great - do not get me wrong - but believe me when I say, a competent rider will still blow 99% of riders away on a well set up K1 - your mission is too become closer to being that 1%......Customise YOUR bike to fit YOU!!!
Cheers Si.
Not everyone buys a K5 because it is the newest bike, and not every K5 owner has owned a Gixxer before. I got one because in my opinion it is the best new bike. I agree that there probably isn't much in it between a slightly modded K4 and a K5. But for a person like me, who hasn't owned a Gixxer before, it makes sense to buy a bike that is already better before doing any mods to it. If I then did the same mods to it, it can only be even better...

As far as experience goes, if I had kept my previous bike (heavily modded TLR), I may have 6 months more experience on it in 6 months time, but now I will have 6 months more experience on a different bike. I believe a truly good rider should be able to ride well on any bike. A further 6 months down the line when we are all on different bikes again, who will adapt quicker? Anyway, I haven't seen experience for sale anywhere, so if I have to choose between gaining more experience on the latest kit, or on slightly older kit, well it's a no brainer really. Two years from now when Suzuki revise the 1000 and I have the opportunity to choose again, it would make sense to want to ride the best kit available (I probably won't be able to afford it though...). I bet I will be faster on a newer bike than an older one, in no time at all.

I'm not having a go here, I just think that these days more riders can appreciate the changes to new bikes, than most people think. We don't have to be able to use our bikes to 100% of the bike's ability, the newer bikes help us to consistently ride closer to 100% of OUR ability.

PS, I'm not sure if I could tell the difference between radial and conventional calipers, but I can definitely appreciate the radial master cylinder

·
Premium Member
1,610 Posts
Hi Guys,
any slightly modded K1-K4 will put out more HP and be faster than a stock k5. The difference's between the bikes is noticeable by top flight racers. How many people could really tell the diffference between radial brakes and a good set up conventional system ? - If you answer I can - your bloody kidding yerself.
Well, I either had a shit K4 or I have got a brilliant K5 because the power difference between the 2 bikes is more than noticable.
On my K4 to power up 2nd consistently I had to roll off and then nail it. This bike was dynoed @153 with a micron can PC & custom map.
My stock K5 to power it up in 2nd ya just have to roll on. 3rd roll off and nail it.
Prior to my K4 thou I had a K4 750 now this bike did have radial brakes and it stopped on a dime.
My very first thoughts when I bought the K4 thou was this bastard doesn`t stop. I put braided lines on it and as far as I am concerned the breaks were simply shit on that bike.
The K5 breaks on the other hand are as good, if not better than the K4 750
The breaks changed between the K3&K4 gixxers and correct me if I have this arse about face but the K3 had 4 pads per calliper and the K4 had 2 pads per calliper and it was simply a step backwards in stopping power.
IMHO there is no comparison between the 2 thous I have owned. Power aside, the turning ability of the K5 is quite amazing.
I`m no racer, far from it but I can assure you, especially in sweep bends AI am a mile quicker on the K5 than I was on the K4.
Haven`t dynoed the K5 yet but there is simply no doubt in stock form it got a shit load more grunt than my slightly modified K4.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Can you lock the front? Yes. Are the tires the same. Pretty much. Brakes are brakes. they almost all stop the sme.

when people say the brakes suck, the brakes don't suck, the FEEl of them does not suit your style.

I like a soft initial bite. If you need to drag the brakes a touch on the front you don't want BITE. It stops the front from diving and keeps the brake balance spot on.

If you want brakes that take more pressure to modulate and have more of a range of modulation. Leave them stock.

If you want brakes with a much smaller modulation window, upgrape to different components.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I must say I love my K3. I'm not a big fan of the K5 due to my own opinion on the styling. Yes I know each man has his own preference, so I'll leave it at that. Yes the K5 is much lighter and faster, but I'll stick with my girl and just as si 9 said, learn your bike, be apart of it and be the best rider you can. That experience can put you out in front of any unexperienced K5 Rider. Not all of them know how to roll that throttle. But to the ones that do, my hat is off to you. But for you rookies on the K5 your asses belongs to me........

·
Registered
518 Posts
So you say a modded k1-k4 will be faster than a stock k5? Why don't you sompre bike to bike. Either compare stock bike ot stock bike or modded bike to modded bike. That's great that you love your bike you should its' a gixxer, they're the best! I bought my k5 because the gix 1000 has been my dream bike since they first came out on the market, this year just happened to be the year that I could sell my old bike and buy a new one. All gixxer 1000 are sick and are the best sprts bike out there. Soon we all will be bitching about the K7 and there should be a forum just for that bike. Oh yeah I was going to buy a left over 04 but another local dealer gave me a cheaper price on the K5 so I bought it, so i was almost with you guys?

·
Registered
177 Posts
well its like this, dont you get bored of riding a bike after say, 3 years max? For me its not about a few BHP more or less, when you get so used to, in one with the handling of a machine and you have mastered it, then its time to change, finance permitting. other wise I find I get complacent , riding the same machine for too long..........

·
Registered
941 Posts
Yes, give the K5's there own forum, or give the K1-K4 owners there's......

1 - 20 of 49 Posts