Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals new to forum; I recently rebuilt a 2003 Gsxr 1000 (rebuilt meaning i replaced all internal bearings and seals) my issue im dealing with is once rebuild was finished and i got the timing figured out the bike cranks perfectly yet it WILL NOT turn over completely. I have checked all wiring and made sure the kick stand was up, bike is in neutral as it should be and i have 12v everywhere i should. I know bikes can be a bit tricky but i feel like i am missing something obvious and need some help. if any one has dealt with this or have any insight please let me know.

Thanks!

·
I know things... A lot of things.
3,132 Posts
I take it that "WILL NOT turn over completely" means that it cranks seemingly fine, but won't start. See if you have "CHEC" on the lower-right of the dash while cranking, If not, see if you have "FI" flashing. If not and you get the coolant temperature as expected troubleshoot by checking whether you have fuel, spark and compression.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes meaning it cranks fine no knocks or anything crazy but I have checked the timing three times and adjusted accordingly. I have the correct coolant temp, compression is good on all cylinders my only thought is maybe when I installed the heads that I put them on backwards since I did the rebuild on a bench but that’s the only other thought I’ve got!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I’m getting spark on all four plugs I replaced the plugs and plug boots when I got the bike so I have spark I have compression and I have fuel I have literally checked everything short of taking the intake manifold off and making sure the pistons are in correctly.

·
Registered
285 Posts
How did you check for spark? You say that you replaced the plugs, so you know there is spark, but even brand new plugs won't spark if there are other issues such as ECM, coils, wiring, etc.
Do you happen to have a copy of the manual? There are some good troubleshooting steps in there...

·
I know things... A lot of things.
3,132 Posts
+1 to the above and, in a similar vain, how did you check for fuel? Did you just check whether fuel flowed out of the pump, or did you actually measure the fuel output in a given time, as specified in the manual and did you check whether fuel actually comes out the injectors?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts