i have done this but aint been near a dyno yet

for sure it feels rough low down off idle due to not being set up

but

has anyone been dynoed after removal and what were your findings

cheers

·
Registered
318 Posts
figures, if it aint a k5, you'll get no response. I am so happy and proud of my k4 but noone talks about it anymore. wish I could help.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,844 Posts
I'd imagine it wold respond similarly when the SET was pulled. Mine seems a little less responsive way down low, but I hardly ride below 3K anyway, above that it feels fine. I'm hoping once DynoJet can get the PC3 sorted out and I put it on with a proper map it will clean it up nice.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My 04 seems snappier down low - lag time for the SET to start opening is gone. I am a strong believer that was only to quiet the bike.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Re: K3/4 set removal - anyone notice record power loss low d

Do you have an aftermarket exhaust or oem? weee

·
Registered
941 Posts

Here is my 04 Blue is bone stock and red if with a full exhaust (No SET valve. you can see where the torque was affected.....

Only affected from about 3600 to about 4600 RPMs. Hope this helps on what you were looking for..

·
Registered
1,553 Posts

Here is my 04 Blue is bone stock and red if with a full exhaust (No SET valve. you can see where the torque was affected.....

Only affected from about 3600 to about 4600 RPMs. Hope this helps on what you were looking for..

It's not a real comparison of the SET valve. The dips are most likely due to the increased
header diameter. I see the same type of loss at 4k&6k when comparing a slip on(no SET) and a full exhaust.

·
Registered
750 Posts

I did notice it was a little harder to wheelie in second, but I attributed that to the exhaust also.... so I am basically post whoring

·
Registered
3,097 Posts

There should be nil to bugger all difference with the valve removed. PB did a complete dyno, back to back test and there was something like 1 hp in it - which could be down to anything really.
The suzuki valve does not work the same as the yam nor the honda's - they have much more complicated systems that seems to work a bit better than the suzi's, but the gain in there for us is, once removed you have saved a KG of unsprung weight, have a note in your pipe, and really have not suffered any loss in power anywhere in the curve.
I am ALSO a very big fan of the SEt being used to get the bike past noise restrictions...all the Evidence points to this.....
Si

·
Registered
551 Posts

How much does a set valve cost? It seems that it is there for something. I'm not a bike pro. I'm just worried about f'ing my bike up by putting on a slip on. what I mean is losing power on the low end so I cant squirt in out of traffic quickly at low speeds. I hate the look of a bolt on. personal preference.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts

Your right - it is there for something - to get the Suzuki's past the noise and emssion regulations, to allow the bike to be made compliant with different measures around the world.
If you don't believe what people are saying about losing power - simply unclip the cables at the pipe, tie them out of the way and go for a ride. If my memory serves, the spring clip will hold it wide open....if you like it - remove it, if you don't hook the cables back up.
Si.

·
Registered
551 Posts

si 9 ,I'll agree with ya beause I dont know. Alot of people in bike shops around here say the set-valve is what gives you your low end power and by removing the set valve the bike loses backpressure making it difficult for quick take offs at low speeds. I always thought that sounded a little funny, but I usually let other people work on my bike. i only recently decided not to get ripped off anymore.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts