Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new to this forum and bikes in general.

This is my first post and I thought I'd make my own build thread to give you some background on me and my bike.

DISCLAIMER: I do not yet have a respectable streetfighter, hence the "ongoing" part. That said, I received much inspiration from this fighter I saw on customfighters.

I inherited KazeSpec's bike (some of you older members may known him) after it was low-sided and sitting for 2 years. There were scratches on misc parts on the left side of the bike where it was dropped, and the right side fairing was replaced for some reason.

Pic of bike when KazeSpec had it.

Pic of when I got the bike.

The bike had more issues than my drunkard uncle (which is to say a lot) - bad battery, wouldn't start, fuel pump only primed sometimes, cracked master cylinder just to name the main ones. Being new to bikes, the first two months of ownership was spent trying to get it back up and running reliably.

Because it had so many issues, I ran the bike without fairings so I could quickly deal with the problems as they came.

After replacing all the necessary parts, and replacing some of the replacement parts (note to self: don't trust Chinese ebay parts...), it was pretty much ready to ride as a daily without worrying if it would start in the parking lot.

After changing most parts but still having electrical issues.

Leaking mc hose...bad China! I wag my finger at you. :nono

to be continued...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Now when I first got the bike, I did want to streetfight it. But I thought I didn't have enough knowledge at the time to do so, so the plan was just to make it run and look good.

While I had the fairings off, I thought I'd paint them black. Wanted to see how good of a rattle can job I could do, so I tried my hand at that.
After about 2 months of working on and off, I finally got it done.

Before I color sanded, buffed, and polished.

Really liked the look of the white tank on a black and orange bike, since it PERFECTLY matched my jacket and helmet.

You might've noticed I'm a small rider, at 5'7 and 140lbs, from the giant bobble head helmet.

After sanding, buffing, and polishing. Not bad for a rattle can job and an amateur. :w00t

The job ended up costing ~$150. $86 in primer, paint, and clear. $70 in a cheap buffer, compounds, sand paper, etc.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's the Streetfighter turning point:
Even though I really liked the job on the fairings, I actually burnt through the clear on the tail and headlight fairing, oops. :facepalm). Since I'd have to buy more clear and spend morrreeeee time to do it all over, I thought I might as well just leave it off and really turn this bike into a street fighting monster.

Decided I'd go all in. So I put the bike under operation and performed a wire tuck on it. Also removed some rearset risers that KazeSpec made, since they really pinched up my longer legs. BTW, KazeSpec is my brother, and he's a little smaller than me.

Rusted up adjustable rearset risers.

Painted the radiator with some engine enamel. I thought it'd be gloss, but it's more of that grill color. I'll have to redo these later...or cheap out and just spray black gloss over it. Thoughts?

Bike with the painted radiator, wire tuck, and valve covers all cleaned up. PS, wire tuck was a bit of a bitch. The reason I painted the radiator at all was because I had to remove it to tuck my wires...at least that's how I did it. Changed the fluid while I was at it with some water wetter.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Somewhere along the way, I realized I wasn't as interested as having a streetfighter as I was a cafe racer/bobber/cruiser style sportbike, if any of that makes sense. Basically a clean naked bike, with a lower seat and tail similar to a cruiser. Thus far, I haven't really seen anything like that though.

So I thought I'd just be original and try it to see how I liked it. I first started by trying to lower the tail. I did this by making a cheap prototype of a subframe adapter that would lower the angle of the tail. I also took the tank to get powder coated, since I didn't want to put the work into painting it myself and have gas eat up mt work.

How I the bike sat before.

How I was hoping to get it to sit.

How it sits now. After getting on the bike, I realized that I had to reach further for the handle bars, so I'll have to get a set of bars and risers.

The adapter is a shitty unfinished prototype right now that I'll clean up later. If you haven't noticed by now, I'm not the best handyman. Don't worry, you'll see it later if you can't already now.

My setup

What it looks like so far. The red boxes show where I need some spacers. Was thinking either a square nut, or just using aluminum flat bar with a bolt hole drilled - which would be harder since my god-guided hands probably wouldn't make precision cuts/drills.

I also ordered my headlight, which should come in the mail today or within the next couple days. It's a single round 7" LED high low with DRL's. So while I wait for it, I thought I'd make some headlight brackets as well. Didn't turn out perfect, but they hold really well. I'll go over them with some steel wool or sand them to a nice polish. Or paint them gloss black.

Used instructions from a customfighter thread on how to build aluminum brackets. Simple as fuck, but I couldn't think this up on my own...please!

Yea. Not too proud of the finished product. But what can I say. Might try to redo them.

Now I'm just waiting to pick up my painted tank and wire up the headlights when they come in. It should really start to look more like a streetfighter then! :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks carnage!

Shipping on my headlights has been delayed and I probably won't receive them til Tuesday...I was supposed to get them today. Looks like my tank won't be back from powdercoating til Monday too... :frown:

Picked up the Wiipro LED headlight with DRL.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Headlights just arrived today! Unfortunately, I'm in class til 9pm and won't have much time to work on it.
Won't be able to pick up my tank til mid or late week...maybe even next week. Turns out I didn't prep enough (didn't remove the fuel pump or cap) so the shop is charging for extra work.

Not too happy about that, especially since I asked how much prep work needed to be done, to which they replied to just flush out the gas. On top of that, they rounded my bolts, so I'll have to replace them. :rolleyes

In any case, I'll fab up a headlight bracket to mount to the DIY fork clamps and install the headlight tomorrow.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So last night I did a little mock up so I can figure out where I want to put the headlight.

Here's a little teaser. Still need to fab up those brackets today, but not sure if I'll have time since it's my buddy's birthday. :cheers

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Made the left side headlight bracket and wired up the light. Right now the lamp points a little to the left, but that will be easily fixed tomorrow.

Of course, me being the fuck up that I am, this wasn't without problems.

Momma didn't raise no quitter!

Not too shabby if I say so myself

1 - 11 of 11 Posts