Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

161 - 180 of 206 Posts

·
Banned
3,858 Posts
That looks right.

The Kawasaki cushion replaces the reaction springs and one steel drive plate. Minus one fibre for the correct number of steels and fibres.

If the stack height is within spec and the outer fibres are located properly, should be good to go.

·
Registered
557 Posts
yea, both suzuki's 1st thin rings out, then its the normal 1st fibre then the kawasaki cushion, then normal stacking to the middle where its steel to steel then normal stacking again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So stoked to find this so easily on a Google search. I have just had my mechanic fit the ZX-10 part, and just took it for a test drive. No juddering or barking!!! Absolutely stoked. The old set up was really ruining my enjoyment of the bike.

Of course, I have no idea what the longevity of this fix will be...has anyone else got any data on this? Some of these posts are reasonably old, so there must be a bit of feedback out there?

·
Registered
53 Posts
So stoked to find this so easily on a Google search. I have just had my mechanic fit the ZX-10 part, and just took it for a test drive. No juddering or barking!!! Absolutely stoked. The old set up was really ruining my enjoyment of the bike.

Of course, I have no idea what the longevity of this fix will be...has anyone else got any data on this? Some of these posts are reasonably old, so there must be a bit of feedback out there?
I got mine fixed about 37,000km ago and it is still working fine as ever. I think it should go on for ages. Enjoy!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Just did this mod to my K1 1000 (60,000km on the clock).
Clutch was the stock/standard setup and downright horrible with the typical snatchy shuddery thing going on at anything more than a gentle take off. it would even do it if I was taking off gently uphill sometimes!

Anyway, did the cushion plate mod and it is epic! Couldn't ask more from the clutch. It has great feel and you can drag launch it as hard as can be and no snatching or shudders still.
Lever pull is heavier but its a small price to pay for the improvement and, hell, real men ride GSXR's so pulling a strong clutch isn't a problem ;)

Planning on a trip to the drags sometime in the next few months so will report how it handles that.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi jjman,

This thread is a life saver. I also did the same mod and it is fantastic! Thanks to all who helped with the clutch problem.

SK
Hey, I notice that a year earlier you said that your clutch was ok. Glad it worked out after all this time.

Mine is OK too, but....

Mine grabs or snatches, like the clutch plates are dry, only 1 in 400 shifts (I actually counted them, on a trip, all day for 3 days. About 1000 shifts/day on country and back roads)

I can deal with the general roughness and touchy friction point but am now determined to do this fix on my K1 1000. It has been doing this for over 10 years and 50k miles now. :banghead

·
Registered
82 Posts
I did this mod and took out one steel and one gripper out and suffered massive clutch slip and yes i did readjust the clutch first any ideas ????

·
Registered
82 Posts
I will check i think it must of been to small so will see if i can get away with putting the gripper back in
I am running 170bhp so didn't know if that was the issue also a slipper clutch but did see that some of the guys on here were running big bhp

·
Banned
3,858 Posts
Maybe the springs are out of spec. Did you check free length?

The outer plates located correctly?

Could be something slippery in the oil.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Right problem solved

just miked up the plates and it has the 2mm steel plates, well all but one what was 2.3mm. so I removed the 2.3mm plate and replaced it with the zx10 plate what did make the stack a little tall and the clutch a tad stiffer as the springs are loaded up more.
So i took it down the road and it works fine, did a load of monster starts and its bloody fantastic no grab or grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrnnnnnnnnnnnnnnchhhhhhh noises just nice smooth pulling away.

now im another convert :cheers:cheers:cheers guys

now for my first short circuit race in three weeks what has been a hard transition after 25 years of moto x

·
Registered
265 Posts
Right problem solved

So i took it down the road and it works fine, did a load of monster starts and its bloody fantastic no grab or grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrnnnnnnnnnnnnnnchhhhhhh noises just nice smooth pulling away.

now im another convert :cheers:cheers:cheers guys

now for my first short circuit race in three weeks what has been a hard transition after 25 years of moto x
yep, it makes the clutch action heavier but it is worth it any day of the week!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just installed the plate over the weekend and what a difference!... Stands on the back wheel from the get go. I also removed the extra fibre in the middle and all seems good. Top thread!

·
Registered
190 Posts
did this today, my srad-1k was almost impossible to pull away without looking like a muppet, unless you crept the clutch out at idle, and it made a great improvement to it. i used the zx10r plate and removed the first suzuki steel and the middle fiber and it seems grand, i have only done 15 miles or so but what a difference.

cheers guys.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I did this fix ages ago when I had a K4. im reasonably handy, but always paranoid when doing a job 1st time round. this was easy and fixed the issue, so well infact, it was like a new bike. Glad I did this.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi to all, OMG this mod is blooming brilliant!!!!!!! Thank you Luke111, you are my saviour and if you're ever in the UK, I will have to but you a beer. Or 7. ??????

After 11 years of ownership, 49,000 miles or 78,400 Kms that I have put on her (making her total 59,407 miles or 95,051.2 Kms), she now launches from the line without any grabbing, juddering, snatching, embarrassment or anything else you can think of apart from a pure ear to ear grin, a "WHOOP WHOOP" and a pat on the tank to say "good girl, I love you".

I did make a boo boo last night by not putting the last fibre into the short castlations on the outer basket but that was soon remedied this morning before work (much to the intrigue of my wife).

To anyone who reads this follow JimGuyer's instructions to the letter -

From Jim Guyer- It's very simple. Remove the wave washer and seat at the base of the basket. Replace the first steel (at the bottom of the basket) with the cushion. build it up then with fiber-steel-fiber-steel as usual, but leave ONE fiber out in the middle of the stack. Don't leave out any more steels.
Make sure the tabs on the last fiber fit into the short slots on the outer basket.
If you didn't have the wave washer and seat...don't worry.

You will end up with base of basket-fiber-cushion-fiber-steel-fiber-steel-fiber-steel-fiber-steel-steel-fiber-steel-fiber-steel-fiber-steel-fiber-pressure plate. Not fiber-fiber... Good luck!

If you can't tell, I'm a happier Suzuki GSXR 1000 K1 'The Daddy' owner. ? Thank you.

·
Banned
3,858 Posts
The only reason a fibre is being left out is that the clutch stack height is too high with the thicker Kawasaki cushion.

Suzuki make three different thickness steels so it is possible to have the correct number of plates with the Kawasaki cushion. It's just more expense and fiddling about.

Good to see another cured K1 :cheers

161 - 180 of 206 Posts