Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

181 - 200 of 206 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have ordered the part and waiting to do this mod
My bike (k4) has it real bad, cant take off not even moderately without it trying to grab/jerk
I hope this is the fix and its not something else

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Hi to all, OMG this mod is blooming brilliant!!!!!!! Thank you Luke111, you are my saviour and if you're ever in the UK, I will have to but you a beer. Or 7. ??????

After 11 years of ownership, 49,000 miles or 78,400 Kms that I have put on her (making her total 59,407 miles or 95,051.2 Kms), she now launches from the line without any grabbing, juddering, snatching, embarrassment or anything else you can think of apart from a pure ear to ear grin, a "WHOOP WHOOP" and a pat on the tank to say "good girl, I love you".

I did make a boo boo last night by not putting the last fibre into the short castlations on the outer basket but that was soon remedied this morning before work (much to the intrigue of my wife).

To anyone who reads this follow JimGuyer's instructions to the letter -

From Jim Guyer- It's very simple. Remove the wave washer and seat at the base of the basket. Replace the first steel (at the bottom of the basket) with the cushion. build it up then with fiber-steel-fiber-steel as usual, but leave ONE fiber out in the middle of the stack. Don't leave out any more steels.
Make sure the tabs on the last fiber fit into the short slots on the outer basket.
If you didn't have the wave washer and seat...don't worry.

You will end up with base of basket-fiber-cushion-fiber-steel-fiber-steel-fiber-steel-fiber-steel-steel-fiber-steel-fiber-steel-fiber-steel-fiber-pressure plate. Not fiber-fiber... Good luck!

If you can't tell, I'm a happier Suzuki GSXR 1000 K1 'The Daddy' owner. ? Thank you.

I just want to respond and comment that "to anyone who reads this, follow...xxx's instructions...."

Well, I dont know that guy, so I have nothing for him nor against him. Literally, can't have a personal beef w/ someone I've never met or heard of

BUT - "for anyone who reads this" I'd say.... read ALL of this thread.

Because there is a way to do this mod, WITHOUT losing a fiber plate. May not be a big deal when you are running a stock motor, but.... if you are pushing 200+ RWHP, losing a plate means losing about 10% of the clutch area, which, all else being equal, loses about 10% of the holding capacity of the clutch

And running a "strong motor", you might get by with less clutch, but then again, you might be happier having the full clutch pack available. The ZX10 washer mod is great, REALLY increases the feel of the clutch & feedback through the lever & cuts back on judder/kickback/jerkiness

But you dont have to choose between doing this mod vs having a full clutch stack. Its not an either / or proposition. You can have both, if you want it, need it.

So, read the thread, the whole way through, then make up your OWN mind. ZX10 washer + losing a fiber = easy solution (and is better than stock). But, if you want to go through the expense & a little hassle, you can have full clutch stack AND the washer. Read, think, make your own choice

·
Registered
20 Posts
Done this, it worked wonderfully!
Now i may just get the 2mm steel plates because i think it would be the better job, not that it doesnt work with the 2.3's in there (as the thread is years old and guys still havent had any issues)

·
Registered
164 Posts
I just want to respond and comment that "to anyone who reads this, follow...xxx's instructions...."

Well, I dont know that guy, so I have nothing for him nor against him. Literally, can't have a personal beef w/ someone I've never met or heard of

BUT - "for anyone who reads this" I'd say.... read ALL of this thread.

Because there is a way to do this mod, WITHOUT losing a fiber plate. May not be a big deal when you are running a stock motor, but.... if you are pushing 200+ RWHP, losing a plate means losing about 10% of the clutch area, which, all else being equal, loses about 10% of the holding capacity of the clutch

And running a "strong motor", you might get by with less clutch, but then again, you might be happier having the full clutch pack available. The ZX10 washer mod is great, REALLY increases the feel of the clutch & feedback through the lever & cuts back on judder/kickback/jerkiness

But you dont have to choose between doing this mod vs having a full clutch stack. Its not an either / or proposition. You can have both, if you want it, need it.

So, read the thread, the whole way through, then make up your OWN mind. ZX10 washer + losing a fiber = easy solution (and is better than stock). But, if you want to go through the expense & a little hassle, you can have full clutch stack AND the washer. Read, think, make your own choice
I am not sure if this will be seen by you since it has been a while since the post. I just had a question about what you said just because I do not want to do the mod. (do not like the idea of steel on steel even if they rotate the same way) It seems like my issue is the same as everyone else on here has been saying. Only happens when I am leaving from first gear. Clunky/chattery, makes you feel like a dumbass leaving a red light. I was just curious to see if you knew what was causing this issue and a more proper way of fixing it rather than doing this mod?

·
Premium Member
1,993 Posts
I am not sure if this will be seen by you since it has been a while since the post. I just had a question about what you said just because I do not want to do the mod. (do not like the idea of steel on steel even if they rotate the same way) It seems like my issue is the same as everyone else on here has been saying. Only happens when I am leaving from first gear. Clunky/chattery, makes you feel like a dumbass leaving a red light. I was just curious to see if you knew what was causing this issue and a more proper way of fixing it rather than doing this mod?
Only this mod or the Brock Clutch cushion will fix the juddering issue. Either above option work great!:fact

·
Registered
164 Posts
Only this mod or the Brock Clutch cushion will fix the juddering issue. Either above option work great!:fact
Cool. I went ahead and ordered the ZX plate and a new gasket. So I will be installing those soon. Has anyone had any long term side effects with using this?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Nope, Harldy long term use but I've put on about 500 miles with the ZX mod and have had ZERO issues.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I also used the alternative OEM Suzuki Plates so that I wouldn't have to have a Steel on Steel situation.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Long term side effects are a smile on your face.
Haha well nothing wrong with that. I still have not had a chance to switch it out yet, but I am hoping to this weekend. It will definitely be nice to not have to worry if your clutch is going to make you look like a dumbass or not at the red light.

·
Banned
3,858 Posts
Haha well nothing wrong with that. I still have not had a chance to switch it out yet, but I am hoping to this weekend. It will definitely be nice to not have to worry if your clutch is going to make you look like a dumbass or not at the red light.
I was looking like a dumbass when I had a missfire trying to take off from stop lights. Every grab for the clutch to prevent a stall and feeding it back in resulted in a shudder. Made me look like a real beginner pogoing and surging from the lights.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I was looking like a dumbass when I had a missfire trying to take off from stop lights. Every grab for the clutch to prevent a stall and feeding it back in resulted in a shudder. Made me look like a real beginner pogoing and surging from the lights.
I know exactly what you mean. Definitely not a fun experience. Weird thing is that it is a 50/50 chance that it will do it each red light for me.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Put this together today and the clutch is awesome now. No more of that looking like a dumb ass at stop lights when it decides to judder. Thanks a lot luke111

·
Registered
2 Posts
In the interest of total honesty, I will tell you, right off the bat, that I don't have a bike.
What I do have is a single seat race car powered by a K1 750 GSX-R engine.
Heres my dilemma.
At our last track day (I am not the Driver) I could hear the clutch slipping through the middle of third gear.
Despite this clutch slipping we managed to set fastest timed lap on that day and just 1/2 second short of the lap record for that event.
I use the forums to get as much information as I can, so naturally I decided to do this clutch mod along with the clutch rebuild. The problem is the ZX10 cushion plate absolutely does not fit on my inner clutch hub.
My question is, is there a difference in the spacing and sizing of the grooves between the K1 750 and 1000 clutch hubs?

·
Registered
2 Posts
OK
You can disregard my previous post.
I have found a parts listing showing the difference between the steel plates.
Unfortunately, the workshop manuals do not show this difference.
I guess my next move is to source a K1 1000 Clutch Inner Hub, with Steels and move on from there.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hey Guys,

This thread is a bit too long for me to view all the way through and I appreciate the good words about our clutch cushion, it's worked great for years:grin2:

I'm not sure if anyone mentioned checking to make sure the backing plate springs are not worn out in your outer basket, but even our cushion can't work correctly if these are too damaged to work properly.

Here is a quick, simple video on how to inspect your outer basket: ( h t t p s ) // (w w w dot) youtube.com/watch?v=YGq-dOCKLPI Outer Clutch Basket Inspection

(FYI: My post count here is too low - so I can't add any links)

Hope this helps,

Brock

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
Hey Guys,

This thread is a bit too long for me to view all the way through and I appreciate the good words about our clutch cushion, it's worked great for years:grin2:

I'm not sure if anyone mentioned checking to make sure the backing plate springs are not worn out in your outer basket, but even our cushion can't work correctly if these are too damaged to work properly.

Here is a quick, simple video on how to inspect your outer basket: ( h t t p s ) // (w w w dot) youtube.com/watch?v=YGq-dOCKLPI Outer Clutch Basket Inspection

(FYI: My post count here is too low - so I can't add any links)

Hope this helps,

Brock
@Brock Davidson for the info;I posted the vid for ya ;)">@Brock Davidson for the info;I posted the vid for ya ;)" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thanks @Brock Davidson for the info;I posted the vid for ya ;)[/quote]

Thanks oldgixxer,

The clutch basket in the video is worn out, we typically just replace them with a new OEM unit - but they can be rebuilt also.

This part is BROKEN and can't be expected to function properly. Can you ride your bike? Sure, but launching from a dead stop is almost impossible. If someone has our cushion and says "it doesn't work" - we point them to this problem, as well as looking for notches on the inner clutch hub. An outer basket this worn out will also rattle, mostly at an idle and very loud if the idle is set low.

To be clear - I'm not selling anything here.

Just trying to help,

Brock

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
@Brock Davidson

All very good info,thaks for sharing:thumbup

No worries,I know that you're familiar with the forum rules. That being said,
don't be such a stranger around here :cheers

181 - 200 of 206 Posts
About this Discussion
205 Replies
79 Participants
spike52
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing