Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i put a k&n into my 99 600....i have a rs3 carbon fiber pipe and a stage one jet kit...i 've tried 3 differant settings on the jets but it still seems to not be right...if i give it gas too quick it wants to die...and if i let out the clutch to fast to idle at a slow speed it has trouble as well...should i put the factory air filter back in or try something else?
thanks
tone

·
Registered
16,168 Posts
I heard from someone here that ya need to adjust the needles too, but I don't recall what postion ya use..sorry..If ya don't get an answer in the next couple of days, try posting this in Gen. Bike Talk...more traffic there..

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
mechanic told me the only thing high flow filters are good for , is fucking up the way your motor runs...unless u have engine mods...take it out put stock back in and see what happens

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
We need to know more... What RPM do you have the problem with?

If you have a flat spot at like 5-6K then you need to shim your needels up about a half step. If you have a flat spot off idle then you might need to turn out your mixture screws a 1/2 turn.

John

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the flat spot happens around 3500-4000...if i keep the rpms above that it's not an issue...but if i'm taking off slow or let go of the clutch to quick it hesitates...thanks for the responses
tone

·
Banned
16,404 Posts
wot happends when you slip the stock filter in????

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
It should go away when you put the stock filter in cause at low speed the stock filter doesnt let as much air in... It needs the ram air more then the K&N does...

Put a half step shim in the needels on your carbs.. do it to all of them and see how it works... If that doesnt make it better then take them out and turn out the mixture about 1/2 turn and see how that works... But I bet a half steo will clear it out..

John

·
Registered
645 Posts
the K&N is just fine no matter what you've done. If anything it benefits the way a box pressurizes, and when Ram Air is in effect. Not by any noticeable difference really, but why not put a better filter in? It's no big deal. I've had one before and after mods and it never gave a problem. What it is.. is that you have to be a little bit of a detective and adjust the needles, air/fuel mixture screws... just so that the jet's are flowing correctly all through idle to peak powerband. I've been studying these things a lot for the past couple months and you need to be careful that you don't saturate the pistons with too much fuel. If you do, then you're going to get really crappy combustions, and will burn out your ring lands eventually. I'd take heed to John's advice on adjusting. Also do a lot of reading in a service manual. It will set you up with all the knowledge to adjust them properly, or rather give you an idea on how to go about judging how to approach it. Just thought I'd give my two cents.

[ 07-26-2002, 12:25 PM: Message edited by: 96Gixx7Fitty ]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts