Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a K&N on the way. Any input on this air cleaner other than it lets dirt through. Does it increase throttle response, or pull noticably different? Does it cause the bike to run lean?

Thanks...

·
Chubby Chaser
57,844 Posts
People on here have said .5-1 HP improvement..............think you can tell that difference on a 150hp bike

·
Registered
283 Posts
who said they let dirt through?
They come already oiled. Just pop them in
dirt gets trapped in the filter, thus you need to clean it, but I never had a problem with dirt coming through.
they allow air to flow more freely vs the average stock filter

·
Chubby Chaser
57,844 Posts
who said they let dirt through?
They come already oiled. Just pop them in
dirt gets trapped in the filter, thus you need to clean it, but I never had a problem with dirt coming through.
they allow air to flow more freely vs the average stock filter
Most experienced users on here will tell you that you do get more dirt through over OEM.

·
Premium Member
73,386 Posts
the only reason you should put a k & n on your bike is if you want a reuseable fitler. you will actually lose power with a k & n over an oem filter to the tune of 1-2 hp. if you want power gains, get the bmc race filter.

·
Registered
493 Posts
quality wise from experience from my last 2 bikes k+n are cheaply built
and on the gixxer the filter isnt held captive by the airbox lid around its full circumference. leading me to believe that at high velocity it is possible for the filter chassis to deform and let shit in the engine.
and as the k+n is as flexible as fuck with the chassis being made of rubber - i bet it is no mistake that the genuine part is built ridgid out of tough plastic
in light of my previous comments
coupled with the smaller filtration area and less pleats
the best thing you can do is get a refund and stick with stock.
dont believe the bullshit about BHP
its worthless
most dynos will read plus or minus 1hp on concurrent runs with the same bike so anyone who says they got 1hp more - well done - but from my experience of k+n - im calling bullshit (based on the TL1000r and GSX1000r)

·
Premium Member
11,910 Posts
Sorry, of all the dyno runs that I have performed (gsxr-1000 01-04, no 05s yet), I have NEVER seen a K&N filter increase rwhp..........for the most part they DROPPED rwhp.

They certainly are good for filter life, but that is just about it, should you be looking for a race filter, the BMC race unit WILL increase rwhp, but the filtering capacity is decreased.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
A heavily oiled K and N filter will filter better than stock, and accordingly cost hp numbers, a lightly / scrubbed K and N will do the opposite. A K and N that has some of the filter cut away to allow less filteration but more air will show higher numbers ie some superbike racers utilise - surely it's not that fuggen dificult to figure that out ??
Si.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I have a K&N on the way. Any input on this air cleaner other than it lets dirt through. Does it increase throttle response, or pull noticably different? Does it cause the bike to run lean?

Thanks...
They don't let dirt through. The other brands "race filers" are the ones that let dirt through, and should not be used on street bikes.

Jay

·
Registered
9,217 Posts
stick with oem or bmc race... and those that complain about dirt getting through i wouldnt be worried, i mean how often do you ride through a dust storm... and every filter after a few k miles will get dirty just from regular air...

·
Registered
941 Posts
I have the BMC Race on both my 01 and the 04. The 01 has 28000 miles on it (About 18000 was with the BMC RACE filter) and they are both great. Just take it out every 3-5000 miles and check it to see how dirty it is and then clean it and re-oil it. I've had no problems with mine at all...

·
Premium Member
41,734 Posts
Sorry, of all the dyno runs that I have performed (gsxr-1000 01-04, no 05s yet), I have NEVER seen a K&N filter increase rwhp..........for the most part they DROPPED rwhp.

They certainly are good for filter life, but that is just about it, should you be looking for a race filter, the BMC race unit WILL increase rwhp, but the filtering capacity is decreased.
same exact thing I have heard and read. I still have the stock filter and thinking of getting the BMC race

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
any air filter that allows more air to flow into your engine will decrease hp unless you tune your efi to also allow more fuel to flow in with the increased air flow.
I don't see the logic behind such statements, although I hear the all the time.

A STOCK ECU DOES HAVE THE ABILITY TO CHANGE THE AIR/FUEL MIXTURE. Otherwise, your fuel injected bike would be like a carb and need retuning with elevation changes...and temperature changes. The stock ECU can adjust to both (within certain limits).

It's like when people say that you have to get a Power Commander when you change the exhaust system. It's simply not true since the ecu compensates for the extra flow. Wnen I argue this point, the usual reply is that "you have to retune to get the most out of the pipe."

Well, guys....you have to retune a stock bike to get the most out of the factory pipe too. These bikes are not tuned for optimum power from the factory.

I am also considering a BMC race filter. It seems that the guys that have it are happy with it. Where's the best price on it? I think Kneedraggers sells for $68

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.