Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a K&N filter but no jet kit or exhaust system yet. If I put the filter in, will it do anything good or bad by itself? I'm not really expecting a performance gain but I don't want to screw up any fuel mixtures. Sorry for the stupid bonehead question.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
that's not a stupid question by no means!!! we have installed countless numbers of k/n filters and this is what we have have found...it really depends in the bike...we have installed filters in bikes and they run fine afterwards and we have installed them and end up putting a pipe and jet kit in cause the bike would not leave under power...i would suggest you putting the filter in and ride it and see how it reacts and go from there...if it's not pre-oiled make sure that you put the proper amount of oil in it...to much oil will restrict the air flow and not enough oil will flow too much air...feel free to contact us if there are any questions...thanks!!

dwayne

·
Registered
622 Posts
The chances are you going to have to rejet. If you want, put the filters on and run the bike. Have a look at the plugs and read it from there(white is lean, black is rich, tan is what you want).

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Well now nobody asked the obvious...

Is this K&N replacing the stock filter in the airbox?

OR

Is it replacing the stock filter AND the airbox is being removed?

If it is the 1st you might be able to sneak by without a rejet but it will improve airflow so you'll get better power if you do rejet.

If it is the 2nd and the carbs are stock you will have to rejet. I f the carbs ore not stock you'll probably need to rejet anyway because I think it unlikely the correct jets would be in it already.

Bottom line...get it rejetted ON A DYNO!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
With airbox replacing stock air filter and with stock carbs. Thanks for the input guys.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Originally posted by Kulzuk:
With airbox replacing stock air filter and with stock carbs. Thanks for the input guys.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">your welcome

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Originally posted by bartje#99:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Kulzuk:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">your welcome
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">umm...sure

·
Registered
622 Posts
Simon

I'm not sure with the jetting on my 11. With my 2 strokes, I'd take it to a clear long section of road and run it wide open for 30-60 seconds, pull the cluch, hit the kill switch and read the plugs. Can I do the same for the gsxr??

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
You could do that if you're in the ballpark. If you're running rich you'll have black soot at the end of your exhaust.

You could also check with the other 1100's here to see what carb/jets are running. That would get you nearer without a dyno.

·
Registered
23 Posts
i hade a 2in1 k&n filter on my bike witch is gsxr1100 '92 whitt40 mm carbs. The problem was i coudent get it running richt on low rpm, now metter what i tricht with jet, needle.....etc.
I changest the carbs with 38mm off a 750, putt the richt jets in that one and the bike fly's like hell now

p.s. this are open filters with now airbox

1 - 10 of 10 Posts