Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm thinking of getting a k&n air filter they say it'll fit straight in without the need to dyno,anyone out there fitted one if so what was the difference
any improvement in power or delivery
i'm really looking for something to smooth out the lower end,my bike seems to really hate going slow (this excuse cant be used in a court of law)
appreciate any feedback..thx

·
Registered
582 Posts
I just ordered one ill let ya know when i get it

·
Registered
5,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
chase - my bikes yellow and black so it should run pretty similar to yours
let me know when you get it
cheers

·
Registered
582 Posts
well i dont get it in for about 2 weeks i think..i ordered it with new brake lines, pads, sprockets, tires,chain..so it will be like my bike is new after all this stuff comes in. i cant wait.

·
Banned
6,048 Posts
some say its not worth gettin the k&n. i did and it ran lousy at first, so heres the fix:

cleanse the unit with a non-amonia-based cleaner - (dish soap) and let it dry or GENTLY use forced air - not @ high pressure though....next spray with a degreaser and repeat the above. At this point you've removed all the oil from the gauze. Simply replace it once dry and DONT re-oil. The gauze is more than enuf to stop the particles of debris- look at the bmc filter - it has only one layer of gauze compared to the k&n filter of two layers. This is a secret used by many from back in the day to squeeze a little more out of the bike while still being safe.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Thats my 2 centavos on it and mine SEEMS to be jus dandy. mine ran much better afterwards, but was alittle rich already!! u might need to retune, ya never know.

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
I have a k&n with full muzzy race system, i had to get a jetkit installed, due to getting large flatspots in power from 5-6.5k revs in the colder weather (in the warmer weather it ran alot better)
But after installin the jet kit, it runs even better now..

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
There is a good reason to oil a K&N filter... The oil stops the dirt... Yes it will not flow as much as if you had no oil... but, more flow = more dirt in your motor...

Make the call...

John

·
Banned
6,048 Posts
The oil helps maintain the gauze material firstly and secondly holds the debris. if it was up to the oil to be the sole line of protection, then ALL filters would be oily or need to be oiled. ya know??????
the bmc filter is even thinner than k&n and doesnt need oil!!

[ 06-06-2002, 08:53 AM: Message edited by: Esemes750WX ]

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Well a BMC filter is really bad for your bike... lol It doesnt do a very good job as cleaning the air... Thin filters really suck... lol Will it do its job? Yes... Will it do it as good as a K&N, No. That is why the BMC makes more power.

It all comes down to the fact, are you willing to take a chance with more dirt being able to get into the motor? The extra power isnt worth it to me, and since I live in the desert, I am going to make sure I have a good amount of oil to stop dirt with...

John

·
Registered
5,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Price: £30.00

Suitable for GSX-R600 WW-WY 1998-00
K&N replacement air filters are designed to fit right into the standard OEM airbox. No modifications are required by the owner, no jet changes or adjustment of the carburettors is anticipated or suggested. Customer modification of the standard air box - removing the cover, drilling holes into the side or top will have a drastic effect on smooth carburetion.

K&N filters are washable and never need replacing. They give better protection for your engine and improved performance.

All filters come with a 1,000,000 mile guarantee!!

it doesnt seem to be a resounding yeah "get it your life will be complete" but i'm still tempted
the oil on the filter will only be keeping the rain out of the engine in the uk!!!
thanks guys

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just my .02, correct me if I am wrong John. But It doesn't really pay to do the filter if you aren't going to re-jet the bike to take advantage of the added air flow of the k&n. I did the K&N and Factory StageI jet kit at the same time and it made a world of difference. I Also had a full system Micron Exhaust too before I did the jet kit and filter, so everything went together real nice. Hope that helps

·
Registered
5,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thx
i've got a stage one jet kit fitted and a scorpion race can thats why i thought the improved breathing might help

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Originally posted by Esemes750WX:
The oil helps maintain the gauze material firstly and secondly holds the debris. if it was up to the oil to be the sole line of protection, then ALL filters would be oily or need to be oiled. ya know??????
the bmc filter is even thinner than k&n and doesnt need oil!!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">It doesnt maintain the gauze first.. that is 2nd... Dirt is the first part... ever seen a dirtbike filter? They are covered in oil... TO STOP THE DIRT.. lol

John

·
Banned
6,048 Posts
okay okay john
......... dirtbikingly speaking, id NEVER do this. but id also use a good set of prefilters on the dirt (or as on my polaris race prepped ski)--thats not 2 say there isnt dirt in the atmosphere on our public roads, but a much lesser of an oppurtunity to injest any harmful particles -

i think we can agree the k & n is a good product; mine is less oily than others, but is also (more than likely) more often cleaned, inspected, and reinstalled as well. Still think u r the man - (IMHO is not gonna damage anything to do this or the bmc filter would be lethal)

[ 06-06-2002, 12:50 PM: Message edited by: Esemes750WX ]

·
Banned
6,048 Posts
Well a BMC filter is really bad for your bike... lol It doesnt do a very good job as cleaning the air... Thin filters really suck... lol Will it do its job? Yes... Will it do it as good as a K&N, No. That is why the BMC makes more power.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yoshimura recommends the BMC filter in their book of speed as well as their online store with ALL their pipes.
Who knows better than them?? Okay, probably the GSXR fReak does,
but not many others do!!!
lol - jus ribbin onya.....

[ 06-07-2002, 03:28 AM: Message edited by: Esemes750WX ]

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
I am not saying that the BMC doesnt make more power.. I know it does...

BUT!!!!

To make more power it needs to flow more air, Correct? The way it flows more air isnt by some new "space age" filter paper. It is by using a thinner paper... Thinner paper = less filtration... = more dirt in your motor...

Sure it might not be enough to worry about, but I would rather stay with the oiled filter to make the motor last longer and make 1hp less...

John

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Originally posted by Squirley87:
Just my .02, correct me if I am wrong John. But It doesn't really pay to do the filter if you aren't going to re-jet the bike to take advantage of the added air flow of the k&n. I did the K&N and Factory StageI jet kit at the same time and it made a world of difference. I Also had a full system Micron Exhaust too before I did the jet kit and filter, so everything went together real nice. Hope that helps
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">If you have the bike tuned correct for the stock setup (pipe and filter), then you do not need to rejet for JUST a k&n... But if you are running the stock jets you should re-jet if you change anything... Does this meen that if you dont rejet the bike wont work? NO. It will just work better...

If you have a pipe and a high flow filter, you should be willing to jet the bike for that setup...

John

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
Motrac in Ellesmere Port don't recommend changing the filter in the 600, in fact they don't recommend a Dynojet kit either, just change the jet sizes to suit. Bearing in mind these guys sell dynojet kits and K&N filters, if they don't use 'em on the 600, there must be a reason for it. Either that or they're too lazy to fit 'em

1 - 20 of 32 Posts