Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hope this is in right area,

ok i'm about to put on some woodcraft cases (stator, idler, crank case cover ).. my question is this. i still need to change my oil anyway so would it be ok to drain it and leave empty for alittle while( and the reasons why or why not it may or may not be a good idea). the bike currently sits in my house in a 70 degree tempertaure controlled climate and obviously would not be started or even moved until oil was filled back to spec. i just haven't been able to make it to my local shop yet and at the moment transportation is an issue..it would only be for like a week or so until i can get out there.

might be a stupid question on my part. i'm still new to the whole wrenching on my own bike thing. i was always lazy and brought my other bikes to the stealership when money wasnt as tight, but now that we own a house i'm trying to save money in any areas that i can. Any insight would be appreciated.

·
Constantly in trouble now
16,403 Posts
You can't really leave it with "no" oil. It always keeps plenty of oil adhered to the metal of the engine. Just don't leave openings uncapped.

--Wag--

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can't really leave it with "no" oil. It always keeps plenty of oil adhered to the metal of the engine. Just don't leave openings uncapped.

--Wag--
Thanks for the response wag.. i kinda had a feeling that it wasn't a good idea but wouldn't leave it dry.. i do have a quart in the shed unopened of the same stuff im gonna use that i could put in but i guess it would be best to just wait and get it all done at once..
:cheers

·
16,403 Posts
I wasn't clear. What I meant was, you can completely drain it and oil will still adhere to the metal surfaces.

You do NOT need to add any oil to it while it sits! I've let bikes sit for weeks with no oil in there, then stripped the engine apart and got another quart out of the damn thing. And there was STILL oil on the surfaces!

Again, don't worry about it. Just don't forget to add oil before you restart it! :D

--Wag--

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wasn't clear. What I meant was, you can completely drain it and oil will still adhere to the metal surfaces.

You do NOT need to add any oil to it while it sits! I've let bikes sit for weeks with no oil in there, then stripped the engine apart and got another quart out of the damn thing. And there was STILL oil on the surfaces!

Again, don't worry about it. Just don't forget to add oil before you restart it! :D

--Wag--
Thanks for breaking that down.. i totally understood what you meant to say after i re-read it the second time. I appreciate you taking the time to better explain it though. I haven't done alot of well technical posting on here cuz well i don't really know much as im just starting to wrench on my bike myself.

I am very appreciative of all the info on this site and especially to members like yourself and others who take time out to help the not so mechanically inclined people like myself.. I do alot of reading on this site and have numerous DIY projects lined up that i am going to tackle myself. The first thing i did when i got my new bike was got a haynes manual :punk ..

·
16,403 Posts
Haynes manuals are good enough. Just read before you start tearing into things.

Some tips:

Bolts don't need to be nearly as tight as you think! :D Make SURE you use a torque wrench.

Make sure it makes sense. If you don't understand what you're doing, read up some more or find a video or have someone show you what to do and explain things.

That said, don't be afraid to work on it. If you have a natural mechanical inclination, go for it. If you're a klutz, take it easy and be careful.

Never get in a hurry. It just ain't worth it to hustle up and put everything back together so you can go on that ride and then get stranded (or killed) out there because you forgot to put something back on.

There are some smart people on here. I'm not one of them but I do my own wrenching! Be careful who you listen to! :p

Carry on, young padawan learner!

--Wag--

1 - 6 of 6 Posts