Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi people. I just purchased my 91 1100 today. I had a 90 about 5 years ago so I know this bike pretty well. I do not have a manual and I have a few questions...

Tire pressure? What should I run? Stock sized Metzler tires. 250lb rider.

Suspension settings? Can someone tell me the standard setup? All the adjustments are cranked full hard right now and It just does not feel right to me. I would like to start off with factory settings. Any pointers?

So far the bike seems to run pretty good. Its great to be back in the saddle again. I cant wait to get this DD pipe off of here and do a rejet.

Thanks !

CT

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I've got the service manual that covers the `89 - `92 ...and also the owner's manual for the `89 ...this info is from the owner's manual, but the bikes are similar enough that you should find it helpful:

congrats on the new bike! I hope this helps.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a million man. This is exactly what I needed. I am going to go out now and reset the suspension to factory settings. Its way off now as the preload is maxed up front.

My bike has an ajustment on the Nitro canister as well. It has around 20 clicks. What should this be set too?

One other question. Where is the wheelie wire again? I know my 90 1100 had one. I found it by tracing the wires back from the gearbox area. Cant remember what color and type of connector it is. I took a peak and found a white connector with a wire unhooked at the pin. It might be done already but I wanted to make sure.

Thanks again!

CT

[ 04-07-2002, 10:37 PM: Message edited by: azgsxr11 ]

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
You either have an aftermarket rear shock, or the `90 is different than the `89... I have no adjustment for the rear other than the 4-position clicker at the bottom of the shock.

The "wheelie wire" is a trick that only applies to water-heaters (from what I've read). I went up +2 teeth on my rear sprocket before I put the ignition advance, hindle pipe, and jet kit in it, and sometimes I kinda wish I had a "wheelie-wire" on mine. LOL ANYway, if you use the search function, there are a few different posts relating to "wheelie wire" and Jeff *is* the resident guru...

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Okay I am going to clear this up for us again. There is NO Wheelie Wire On Oil Cooled GSXR 1100'S not to yell at every one but this seems to be a common misconception the infamous wire is on the water pumpers. Ans azgsxr11oo the 91 gixxer 1100 ran dunlop tires stock 202zr 120 front and 180zr rear, these tires are SHIT spend a couple bucks and get the dunlop 207's 100x better tire tire pressure try 32 front and 34 rear
And Fast Cat by '91 the Gix 11 had swithced to USD forks.
-Karl

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
no Problem, good looking out with that manule, mines at home on the shelf I have to do this from memory on they fly

oh and 91-98 stock rim sizes are front 3.5 and rear 5.5. In my opinoin you are better off with the stiffer rates, I ahd my front a bit softer that the rear and I am 6'1 210+ if that helps
-Karl

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I dont want to start an argument or anything like that, but you are wrong on this. 89,90,91 and even 92 GSXR 1100's had a wheelie wire. I know this as I had a 1990 model and we disconected the wire. After telling my friend about this he tried this on his 89. He ended up wiring a switch in at the bars to turn it off and on. He found he could launch harder at the strip with the wire hooked up.

I even remember running a dyno pass on my 1990 1127 bike in first gear (not easy to do with out wheel spin) and seeing 23hp more with the wire unhooked. Ignition is not advanced when the lever is in first gear. This is why you have less power in first. If you follow the wires leading up from the tranny area on the left side of the motor to the battery compartment you will find the wire. One wire does the neutral switch, The other is the wheelie wire.

The wire exists on oil cooled GSXR 11's that use the 1127CC motor. In fact, Tonight I am going to find the wire and take pictures so others can then unhook it and report back. The difference is unmistakable.

Please keep an open mind man... Let me show you that the wire is there. I am not challenging anyone and dont want an fight... I just know it exists.

CT

Originally posted by KJ1:
Okay I am going to clear this up for us again. There is NO Wheelie Wire On Oil Cooled GSXR 1100'S not to yell at every one but this seems to be a common misconception the infamous wire is on the water pumpers. Ans azgsxr11oo the 91 gixxer 1100 ran dunlop tires stock 202zr 120 front and 180zr rear, these tires are SHIT spend a couple bucks and get the dunlop 207's 100x better tire tire pressure try 32 front and 34 rear
And Fast Cat by '91 the Gix 11 had swithced to USD forks.
-Karl
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Guys. Thanks for the info. This is VERY helpfull to me. Most of my riding will be on the highway during my 60 mile commute. Comfort is important. I used the adjustments that where posted here and the bike rides much nicer. I also took the front tire down to 33psi and the front is much more planted now.

Got another question though....

Someone changed out the gearing on this bike and I would like to put it back to stock. At 70mph I am doing around 6000 rpm which is a bunch for this old motor. Its really buzzing at 80mph. I seem to remember my 90 having much taller gearing. Could someone post the correct size front and rear sprocket?

Another thing... Where is my best source for parts other than the dealer? There are a few things like fasteners and switch covers that I need to replace. Also, My seat needs to be redone.

Thanks guys!!

CT

Originally posted by FastCat:
Karl: duh... and thanks; I shoulda looked in the service manual instead of my owner's manual. Here's the suspension setting info for the `91 model:

*that* should resemble your bike a lot more
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
No wheelie wire on my 1100K.........i just use the throttle and "up and away we go".....

Andy

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
stock gearing on the 1127 motored gsxr 1100 is 17/48
-Karl

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Karl, Look for my post on the wheelie wire. I took some pics for your guys.

Thanks for the help on the sprockets. I am going to go count the teeth today.

CT

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
should be stamped on the sprokets
-Karl

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
mines 15/48 and I'm on 14/48 and it's great fun.........160 on the clock still at 11,500 - 12,000.

Andy

1 - 15 of 15 Posts