Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I have been lurking on this forum for a while and finally signed up. I recently got a gsxr750 and got my learners permit. I want to ride but I need some one with there license to ride with me. I have years of experience riding on private property, so im not a newbie. I live in Jamesport NY and would like to ride locally. Anyone in this area that would be down to ride?

Thanks, Andrew.

·
Unstable SuperMod
21,904 Posts
Not to be a downer, but if you are new to the street then most will look at you as having no experience. I'm sorry but I would be very hesitant of riding with someone that has no experience.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, I should have specified. I have done stunt riding and just plain old cruising at several locations including the private road I live on, our local race track, and some parking lots. I might get flamed for this but ive driven on the road around town a few times on my old bike. I dont want to risk getting in trouble though, so id like to do it the right way now. Im not looking to race around or do stunts, just cruising. I consider myself to be a pretty safe rider, and have prepared myself as much as possible. I understand being considered a newbie to the road, and I dont blame you for being hesitant. If anyone would be able to help me out, we could ride on my private road until you are comfortable riding with me and confident that I will be ok on the streets. Just looking for some new friends and people to ride with. Thanks again.

·
Dick/Vagina Embracer
2,945 Posts
Try gsxr.com
Seems a bit harsh, I'd say he's going about it the right (kinda) way. Closed roads, parking lot, and a race track are good for getting the basics down. Riding in traffic is a whole other beast, though. So you'd want to ride with someone who knows you're new, and will make it easier for you to feel comfortable riding around death machines.

·
Reporting live from Fox 5 News
840 Posts
id be willing to ride with, but bike is out of commission with a leaky rad for the next week or so. once it's up and running, we can meet up on a Sunday and cruise a bit. pm me and we'll set something up.

·
Both Handsome AND Pretty!
19,104 Posts
In New York you need someone to ride along with you when you have a permit?

·
Mesonychoteuthis hamitoni
1,981 Posts
Location can make it tricky. If there's ten thousand members on here, distributed across North America... Most anyone is going to be an hour or more away. Too long to ride just to cruise with someone else, then ride an hour home alone.

·
Registered
624 Posts
In CA last i checked (when i had my permit 10 years ago) you couldn't ride at night, no freeways, and no passengers
Same thing when I got my permit in "04".

In michigan you cant ride past dusk without someone.

Its kind of funny to me because i see where having a skilled rider can be comforting to a new rider however if the the shit hits the fan, that wont help the new rider any.

Its not like 2 people sitting in the car where one can take over the wheel or give instructions.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes in new york you must have another rider who is atleast 21 years old and has a motorcycle license to be within 1/4 mile of you at all times. I live in Jamesport on Long Island. As far as gear goes I have riding boots, gloves, a full face helmet, and im looking into getting leather pants and jacket. I usually wear thick pants or jeans, and a jacket although its been way too hot for a winter jacket. Do you guys think it would be worth it to take a 1 week course to learn the basics of street riding? If I do that I dont have to take the road test and get a discount on insurance. Thanks for the input guys.

·
Unstable SuperMod
21,904 Posts
I don't remember what the rules were when I got my permit.....................

In 86.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts