Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just customed Mapped 02 - HP numbers in front of 05 R1\'s !!

Well - I was to be honest - a little skeptical when I decided to do the Power Commander and Custom map thing.
I only had a K and N filter, a TRE, and a drilled out stock muffler - hardly serious gains by any ones measure.
So I dropped off the bike, and when I returned the guy come sout grinning like a cat - 143 Rear wheel hp. I'm thinking - Not too bad - bout what I really thought i'd get too - but then he added - that's B4 I mapped it !!
So then he shows me another curve - this time peaking at 152 Rear wheel hp - in 33 degree - hot as a bastard temp, with out any ram air devices. 152 Rear wheel HP !! - I'm thinking, shit this dyno must be reading high - sounds like a fair amount. He then says - the bike is making really, really good power - more so than many others and he takes me into his computer room. He has recently done some 05 R1's (the most powerful stock ikes he has dynoed of late - beating teh ZX10's as well) and overlays the power curve's and - well the Yam curve never got in front of the suzi, the Yam peaked at 150 and the suzi edged it out at 152. Similar conditions - hot as, nil ram air, pretty small modifications.
To say i'm impressed is understatement. The 05 R1's are here as all new bikes, they wont change for some time, and the little 02 model was keeping it in check thru speed / power curves and killed it on the tourque. 108nm to 102 nm !!
If Suzi really have the 05 Suzi's soughted to be 10-15 hp up on last years model - there is nill doubt at all they are going to kill everything in the power stakes at least.

And for those that say you need a full system to warrant a Power Commander - Bull$#^$ - I picked up 9 Hp from getting a custom map, with the stock exhaust, diff air filter in 33 degree celcius,(96 F) with a buggered rear hoop, and a dryish chain.......The bike feels brand new - 6th gear pulls as well as 4th NOW, and the response is instant - I love it, should of done it ages ago. AS a bonues - i'm getting 35klm's per tank more on longer rides - the bike was running way, way too rich in stock form at around cruising speed !!
If you are thinking of getting a PC / custom map, but everyone is saying you need a full system or other mods to get the best - foget them - just do it, you WILL not regret it....

Cheers Si.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Re: Just customed Mapped 02 - HP numbers in front of 05 R1\'s !!

My 03 1k turned 152 ponies without a custom map. I can't imagine what she'll turn with a custom map.

·
Premium Member
1,609 Posts

It depends on the bike. I got impresive gains on an 04750 with a PC and custom map.
Did in again with my 041K and I could have got away without the PC. I ended up with 153/78
Without the PC and just a can I got 150/76.5. Stock 145/75.

I do agree totally with you that it is worth a try without having a full system.
Not so much for the top end HP gain but for the pull across the entire rev range.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts

Si, where did you get it dynoed?

How much did he charge you?

I agree that adjusting the map makes a world of difference to the feel of the throttle, makes it so much smoother, yet stronger.

·
GSX-R Enthusiast
2,546 Posts
Re: Just customed Mapped 02 - HP numbers in front of 05 R1\'s

The re-mapping really makes the difference. Even without a new can/exhaust you will feel and see gains. With a new race can you might get a few more but since you've already relieved the backpressure a bit in the stocker you are probably close to a race baffle. But I'd be willing to bet if you went with a full system such as an Akro Evo you'd gain some more power on top. But you might loose some good gain lower in the curve. So your probably good enough right now.

I know when I got my PCIII USB in my 750 the difference in power from stock was very impressive. I felt it right off. If you have the USB model download the Accelerator Pump Software and play with that. From that you will get improved fueling signals (injection timing) and that will mean better acceleration time and perhaps some more horsepower. I never dyno tuned the bike before or after the AP feature was turned on so hard to say if I gained any HP. I definitely felt the difference under hard acceleration. It was like night and day.

My AP settings were 75% Sensitivity.... 25% Fuel.... 20% Engine Revolutions. The suggested race settings are 75% Sensitivity.... 20% Fuel.... 15% Engine Revolutions. I found that I got more acceleration with slightly higher adjustments.

There are a couple of PDF files that go along with the software to help get the idea of what AP is.

PDF 1....

PDF 2....

·
Registered
33 Posts

good gains.....but i think he may be jerking your chain a little....is he saying that mapped r1's and zx-10's only get 150hp?
The ti header on the 1000 suzi is an excellent design and hard to improve upon.

·
GSX-R Enthusiast
2,546 Posts
Re: Just customed Mapped 02 - HP numbers in front of 05 R1\'s

The ti header on the 1000 suzi is an excellent design and hard to improve upon.
The stocker header and pipes definitely have very good flow up too the can but the high-end Akro and TiForce tubes are a bit smoother and shaped better to eek out some more on top I believe. Akro Hydroforms their EVO system so you get really smooth transitions. Joints and all just flow awesome. If the pipe diameter is specific that will also help get better numbers, not sure of the differences between those systems. Akro claims 12.6 hp increase at 12,000 rpm with the Evo on the '03-'04 for a gain to 158.8 HP.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

This guy does not pull chains - if you knew or spoke with him you'd understand. The R1's were stock, maybe piped.

Every Dyno is different in the numbers that they read. The only way to really compare is same dyno, diff bikes - which is why I posted up the R1 numbers. 150 on this dyno might mean 140 on another and then 160 on another.

The thing that really got me going was the fact that is was nearly 100 degrees F when thee runs were done. That's badly oxygenated air, so cooler runs should theoretically generate a fair bit more HP - you know when you are riding in the cold, how much crisper does the bike feel ?
The rear tyre is also down to the canvas now, as it started to slip and melt whilst being dyno'd - so another few hp numbers in that.

I would not hesitate ever in getting a custom Map done again - with out any mods at all !! - the difference in throttle response is simply amazing. Forget the top end numbers, you visit those on track days and similar, the real world riding Revs are improved upon times 10 !!! CRSIP is an understatement.
I used to play around a lot with springs, carbs, jets etc - but never in my wildest guesses could I get response like this fuel injection now gives - no stutter - just Goes......

This job was performed by the Pro Stock bike racer, from SERCO in Capalaba. He charged me $220AU for install and mapping, several dyno runs and laminated print out.
I would of paid more had I known the result - to say i'm very excited...well - i can't stop bloody typing about it.....
Even the TRE I installed now seems to make mroe difference ?!?!?!? - I noticed the TRE marginally when I first put it in, now when I pull the clutch in the revs rise significantly, a sure sign the TRE is working - b4 they rose prolly 200rpm's, now they rise about 500 rpm's - not sure why / how - but that's also probably assisting in this crsipness...
Si.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I bought the bike second hand, but it only had 1000km's on it and the guy who I obught it off was a newbie and really did not know about the bike.
He had scared himself pretty bad on it, and had not had the revs over 8k. I was a bit worried about this - as a too soft break in is just as bad as a real hard break in - so when I got the bike - I canned the hell out of it - every gear, increasing revs, slowly and slowly.
Then drained oil and did exact same thing, drained oil.
Mobil 1 4t racing oil now looks a nice clean colour even after 2000km's in the motor - that jsut did not hapen on my previous blades etc.....
Funny thing is - this motor when cold - sounds like it's going to ratle itself to pieces, it sounds like cam chain noise / valve tappets etc all need fixing, but the sounds die off when warm indicating that clearances have closed up when hot....larger clearances are good for power production but not for engine wear....maybe that's what i've got.
Cheers Si.

·
Registered
408 Posts

Then drained oil and did exact same thing, drained oil.
I'm surprised she held together at all on the dyno with no oil in it!!!! HA!HA!
My '02 dynoed at 149.9 RWHP with a bolt-on and PCIII with 15K miles on her. I was very impressed. 4 more than my buddies '03. I broke it in just about exactly like the manual, but then she got a dyno run at 400 miles. It only made 143 that day. My '02 was also a very loud motor.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts