Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys just bought my first bike.....its an 05 GSXR 600, and i know i am probably gunna get ripped apart for buying a brandnew bike as my first but hey to each their own......just wanted to say hi cause ive been reading these forums for about 3 weeks now and you all seem pretty cool. so my first question is whats a good tire to use..... the tire that comes on the bike is OK its a Dunlop D218 and i dont really like it too much....it feels very loose on any type of corner and to be perfectly honest i dont feel safe with it.....any suggestions would be appreciated

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
There are 3 really excellent tires out there....
M1's
Diablo's
PowerPilots

Stay safe with that new bike.......

And Welcome to GDC!!!!!!!!

·
Jurassic Skool
79,800 Posts
Welcome to the site.
This being your first bike, how do you know it's the tire and not you? And, is the bike suspension set up properly for your riding style?

Are you waiting for it to heat up before getting all aggressive with it? Is the tire that new that maybe you should be taking it easy til it's scrubbed? How many miles have you put on it? If it's not that, then go with a different brand like the ones suggested above. Too many times, though, people are quick to judge the Dunlops hard. I like 'em fine, but I run Pilots.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Welcome to GDC.

How many miles do you have on the bike? FYI you don't feel safe because you are a new rider, not because of the tires. The Dunlops are fine. $100 says the problem is you and not the bike....you just can't hop on a bike as a newbie and declare the tires as crap. Not bashing you...but you need to learn how to ride first.

Stick with the Dunlops....practice practice and practice some more on your techniques.

·
Registered
644 Posts
mm I've had a D218, didn't notice any thing wrong with it. It liked to slide around on the rear when cold....but any tire should do that somewhat. It could be that or as a previous post mentioned it may not be scrubbed in. At any rate, enjoy the ride and be safe!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It very well could be just me.......i only have about 1200 miles on the bike. i rode my buddies 750 the other day(brand new---bought them within 2 days of eachother) and he has about the same mileage......tires felt awesome.....i dunno i mean i am gunna keep them cause i cant afford new ones now but i was just looking for info on whats out there so in the future i know. thanks for the help and advice guys

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
What tires does you buddies 750 have?

I went with the Diablo's this season...haven't been on a hard run with them yet but from what I've heard I should be impressed. Hopefully will get a long hard run with them tomorrow.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
I didn't have a problem with the 218's until I put on the Diablos..... then I was like..... shit.... this fugger corners sweet now!

·
Jurassic Skool
79,800 Posts
What bike does your buddy have? Besides the fact that it's a 750... Maybe it's just a difference in the suspension or something... What air pressure are you running? And your buddy's? There's a lot of variables that can affect why you feel a difference even with same brand/model tires.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
i'm just going to welcome you to the GDC club since the peeps on here mostly answered the question.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Welcome to GDC,
I have the same bike 600K5, the stock tires work fine once there are warmed up, what PSI are you running on them?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts