Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 89 750 for 1700.00. It indicates only 7000 miles but I'm thinking that the speedo has been switched, it's well worn. It does however have Performance Machine wheels and a full Muzzy exhaust system. It runs like a champ and I think it's actually a hair faster than my brand new 600.
I have a few questions about it...

1. When riding at slow speeds it tends to wander to the left and right. When accelarating, braking, turning, or travelling at higher speeds the problem goes away. From 0-35 it's a little nervous. Is that normal for these bikes or should I have it checked out. It does not appear to have been wrecked seriously, just a few scratches here and there.

2. When I start the bike in gear witht the clutch in it wants to move forward. I've adjusted the clutch lever all the way out and it still does it. The clutch engagues fine, it just feels like it's not fully disengagueing. I'm not sure what the problem is there. I was thinking maybe someone put automotive oil in the bike that did not contain the friction modifer for the wet clutch. Could that cause the symptoms I'm having?

3. I just washed it and now it won't start. Obviously I got something wet that doesn't like to get wet. I'm waiting for it to dry completely and then I'll try it again but does anyone know what to avoid getting wet next time?

4. The engine paint is looking fairly sad. Can I paint it again or will I then experience overheating problems? Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
113 Posts
1. Mine rides straight as an arrow no matter what speed I am at. I did however have a 86 vf1000r that rode all over at low speeds , the front tire was bad. At high speeds it was stable. At low speeds it would wobble.

2. Mine wont start sometimes in gear ( 80% of the time ) only in neutral. I wouldnt start it in gear anyways. You should for safety reasons start it in neutral anyways.

3. See your other post

4. You can repaint the motor and you shouldnt have overheating problems, unless the paint is like a 1/2 thick. Paint wont hold that much heat it.

·
Premium Member
3,306 Posts
Adjust the clutch so that there is a bit of wiggle in the lever. Don't make it all the way tight or the clutch won't be engaged all the way. It will drag normally (some) because of the oil, no friction modified oil won't cause it to drag only slip. Check the tires for wear or cupping. If they are good, check the wheel and steering head bearings. Great bike, congratulations on your purchase. My '89 made 100 rwhp and my '99 R6 made 99. It was the 50# difference that made the difference. Troy341

1 - 3 of 3 Posts