Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello ! I have a brake problem....... the lever comes all the way back to the bar..which on a GSXR makes for an arse clenching time when it comes to stopping
(if i pump the lever when at a standstill it firms up a bit) ! My fluid seems a little low as well and could probably do with replacing.

Have just read this post...................

http://www.gixxer.com/ubbthreads/showfla...rt=all&vc=1

You seem to know a fair bit about this subject....... Is changing the fluid and bleeding a fairly easy, if not time consuming thing to do ?

If i get a bleeding kit from halfords and a large bottle of DOT4..is it a case of setting up the bleeder and ensuring the resevoir stays topped up and keep going until new fluid comes thru ?

I'm fairly mechanically minded and want to try this myself (i hate using the dealer for something i should be able to do!) Any pointers or even a quick run through would be fantastic and I would forever be in your debt and owe you beer tokens if you could help!

(sorry if this doesn't read too well or spelling is crap, it's nearly 4 in the morning and i'm on the ninth and a half hour of a 12 hour night shift!)

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Hello, i just wrote a massive post and cleared it

Do you have a manual? You need an 8mm ring spanner, big bottle dot 4 and a bleeder fron halfords £3-4 ish

1) Remove small rubber hat on 1st calpier, put spanner on and slide the bleeder tube onto bleed screw, push the plastic thing that is supplied on the tube with the bleeder to squeeze over the bleed screw to hold the tube on.
2)Open the resevoir and keep topped up with fresh fluid, keep lid on when squeezing the lever.
3)Gently undo the bleedscrew and start pumping the lever, you will see the old fluid coming out of the tube and into the bleeder pot. Once you see only fresh fluid coming out of pipe and NO air bubbles, close bleed screw gently but so it is closed and start on other caliper.

For rear, do exactly the same but start with the bleed screw nearest wheel hub.

Personally I would strip all 3 calipers and renew pads if needed.

After bleeding, try to leave overnight with cable tie, with handlebars angled so resevoir is higher so air can travel up and escape the lines.

Good luck!

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thanks! Will have a go this weekend and let ya know how i got on !

Thanks again.

·
Registered
445 Posts
the front brakes are a complete bastard to bleed , especialy fiting new lines , its worth changeing the black pipe to clear on the master cylinder, that way you can see the air thats trapped, have fun

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
When you're done, unscrew the master cylinder and tilt it vertically, and watch all the hidden air bubbles escape up to the reservoir. This air will not bleed out through the bottom. This should tighten up the brake lever.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts