Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
Theough someone on here may be able to help. I am currently pursuing a job as a District Sales rep or manager with any of the big 4, ie Honda, Suzuki,, Yamaha, or Kawi. I have a friend who now works for yamaha that is trying to help me, but I was wondering if anyone here may have contacts or advise.

Thanks

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
You mean JOB in the MC industry. I, too, have looked into this. Unfortunatly, the only jobs I can find for the big 4 are based out of Cali. Where are you located? You can go to the company website and find related jobs on there. A Suzuki sales rep would be sweet. Representin at all the MC shows and visiting dealerships. :thumbup

·
Mightiest Sorcerer of the Lands a.k.a. Rhinocerous
22,048 Posts
Use of clear English, including the ability to type it, will help a lot.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, when I posted this last night, I was a bit tired from painting and moving. So yes I am looking for Job in the motorcycle industry. I've already looked at the corporate websites and there are some listing which I will be sending my resume to this evening.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I tried that as well. I just happened to run into a Kawasaki regional rep at the Minneapolis Motorcycle show. At the time I was in talks with Yamaha (well, they said they didn't want to hire me because they wouldn't pay relocation to Cali for a bus analyst job, and I was preparing a letter to show my determination). Here is what he had to say:

You are basicaly a wholesaler to dealerships. You have to learn how to sell the crap. Selling the good/popular stuff is easy, but they expect you to get rid of all of the inventory.

Expect to loose the ability to ride your motorcycle. You will be on the road so much that you will loose the time to ride. When you are home you will want to relax and spend time with your family. (This is the point where I changed my mind)

And here is what I think: Working in the motorcycle industry on the supply side crushed my love and respect for the sport. If I could get back in on the racing or marketing/design side I would be all over it.

Another thought to consider is pay. There are quite a few people that think they want that job, so the laws of supply and demand end up lowering the pay. Most regional managers don't last too long either.

If you do decide to follow the path, I wish you luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.