Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never done this before and would appreciate all the help I can get. I need direction as how to jet my carbs. I have the carb assembly off the bike already. I need to know the settings for this particular set up. 96 750 w/ bolt on vance&hines ss2r and a k&n air filter. 3 degree timing advancer will be added next winter. Also to remove the gas tank the tail section must come off right? is it just the two bolts on the tail that hold it on?

Ryan

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Carbs are a mysterious thing.. lol.. not really - there's an FAQ on this site, and you can check out http://www.factorypro.com/tech/carbtun.html for some good general tuning information. You can order DynoJet main jets for like 2 bucks a piece if you need new ones. I don't know what I'd do for your setup in particular, so sorry.

Oh and as far as the tank, the tail section on the SRAD's is held on by 2 bolts on the sides, another 2 big ole screws under the seat/cowling, and there are rubber grommets that these plugs in them fit into, so you have to take the seat off, and take the screws out that hold the 2 halves together toward the front of the bike, then just pull gently and they should pop out. Keep in mind that the rear of the bike is still held together with screws so don't pull it off forcefully or you'll break the mounts

good luck!

- G

·
Registered
788 Posts
You didn't mention you purchased a jet kit in your post. I would strongly recomend doing that, they are not expensive and save near infinite time and hassel in getting real performance improvements. Factory has a good telephone response also if you get theirs. BTW I don't hear good things about the power that V&H pipes/slipons provide.

Some general info would be (others probably have better guesses with no jet kit):

1-drill out the plugs (tricky) over the air screws and try 3.5 turns out from gently bottomed
2-go up about 1 or 2 sizes on the main jets as a start (affects 7k rpm and above)
3-Maybe shim the needles 1 or 2 shims(affects 5-7krpm, midrange)
4-probably leave the pilot jets stock for starters
5-Valves in adjustment and synchronized carbs makes things much easier also.

Go through the above factory website tuning description starting with top speed testing (mainjet size) first. good luck

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have purchased the factory pro jet kit stage one. no drilling required. You strongly suggest a valve ajustment. A re-sync of the carbs did cross my mind!

Also if any one esle has any more information I would appreciate the help. This will be my first attempt to jett the carbs.

·
Registered
235 Posts
"3-Maybe shim the needles 1 or 2 shims(affects 5-7krpm, midrange)"

what do you use to shim the needles? do you just use washers? i dont want to order a new kit because i alredy have the jets. all i need is the adj. needles. will putting washers in do basically the same thing?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think you can buy the shims from the dealer. I think they only cost pocket change also.

·
Registered
235 Posts
i know putting shims isnt the best way. but ive called everywhere trying to find someone to sell just the needles. they all want me to buy the whole kit which i do not need. thanks for the help

·
Registered
788 Posts
Yes, the little washers are easily available and cheap. They are probably a crude replacement for new needles however. There is a lot of science to the shape of the needle shafts, take a close look when you pull them out, this is the expensive part of the jet kits. You are paying for alot of tuning expertise when you get a complete kit, but maybe Factory will sell you a set of needles too. The time spent really doing it correctly is alot compared to just putting a kit in and having it run well the first time. And if you shim the needles you may or may not see real improvements, its a crude way to go but could work fine too.

The kit should have come with detailed instructions, but if something is not clear, I'd call them up (ask for Raul) he'd the guru over there. good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts