Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK... I've done as much research as I think I can accomplish without spending some money and picking up a wrench... My Hindle exhaust will be here in a few days, and I'm ready to order my jet kit but I'm not sure what I want to order yet. The K&N/Dynojet kits are expen$ive, and I'm not sure I like the idea of using a K&N emulsion tube in place of the OEM one... I can get the "Factory" re-cal kit, along with some UNI foam filters for about the same money that the K&N or dynojet kits cost withOUT the filters... so I'm *hoping* that some of ya'all have used the Factory kits before, and/or dynojet and K&N and can give me some feedback about whether or not the K&N or Dynojet stuff is really worth the extra money. Keep in mind, this is all for an internally-stock street motor that will only occasionally see 1/4 mile madness or track days... I want to end up with a mild increase across the powerband, but throttle response and low and mid-range torque are *not* worth sacrificing just to see 2-5 more HP up top. My bike lives at 5-8K rpms most of the time.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK, well... I promise to post pics and dyno stuff once I get it all here... I finally decided to go with the Factory kit (I called Factory directly and they were very helpful on the phone). I also went with the BMC filters... I figure if they're good enough for the Ferarri F-1 cars, they will prolly work OK on my dinosaur. I still can't believe how much $ K&N and Dynojet charge for their stuff... maybe I'm in the wrong line of work?

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by jeff:
how much of a price difference was there between the k&n/dynojet and factory kits? the retail prices are supposed to be very close.....

at any rate, yes, the factory kits tend to require less 'weird mods' (e.g. drilling the slide lift holes) than the k&n/dynojet kits.

be aware, though, that the stock emulsion tubes on those 36-38mm slingshot carbs do tend to wear out pretty quickly and will cause a tuning headache when worn until they're replaced.

http://www.factorypro.com/tech/needle_jet_Mikuni.html
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yup... I ordered new emulsion tubes along with the jet kit (actually got them from Ron Ayers for a lot less than what Factory wants for them. I was wondering why they don't use something harder than brass for those since it seems to be such a well-documented problem... I dunno much about electrolytic reactions though, so I suppose brass must be best for *some* reason... teflon coating a good idea? (shrug)

As for pricing, the dynojet site lists my bike's kit (no filters) for MSRP of $172.00 ...I got the Factory kit direct for $119.00. The K&N individual filters were also in the $170 range (forget exact price) and Factory sold me the BMC filters for $90. Of course, the whole trick seems to be in the needles themselves, and except for the OEM part, those are solid unobtanium unless you buy the whole kit (at least for an average non-connected consumer like me). ANYway, I'm sittin' here watching snow fall and waiting on the big brown truck.

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
you're right....i just took a look at the dynojet web site and the kit's retailing for $172. i must have gotten confused with the 750 kits which are in the $120ish range.

i noticed that dynojet now has a 'stage 7' kit for the 1100 when combined with 38mm 750 and euro/cdn 40mm carbs - they didn't have that before.

you're right about aftermarket needles not being available separately from the kits....all other parts are available separately except for the needles. most of the r&d time and money is spent by dynojet and factory on getting the needle profiles just right.....so you'll need to spring for the entire kit if you want the needles.

edit note: it seems that the reason why the dynojet kits for the 1100 are about $50 more expensive than the 750 kits is because they come with replacement emulsion tubes.

[ 03-20-2002, 02:10 PM: Message edited by: jeff ]

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hey FastCat, you had mentioned
"I want to end up with a mild increase across the powerband, but throttle response and low and mid-range torque are *not* worth sacrificing just to see 2-5 more HP up top. My bike lives at 5-8K rpms most of the time."
A set of flat slide carbuerators would probably increase your midrange power quite a bit, and they will definitely increase throttle response.
(It just so happens that I have a set of 38mm Mikunis w/filters in great shape for sale, e-mail me if your interested)

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by 88/750:

A set of flat slide carbuerators would probably increase your midrange power quite a bit, and they will definitely increase throttle response.
(It just so happens that I have a set of 38mm Mikunis w/filters in great shape for sale, e-mail me if your interested)
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Um, well, er... If I hadn't just blown my budget on the jet kit and filters... I'll definitely let you know if the setup I just ordered doesn't work out for me, thanks!

·
Registered
219 Posts
I bet your new goodies work out pretty well for you.
What size jets did you get with the kit? Did you get an ignition adv. plate too?

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I forget what comes in the kit... it should show up today or tomorrow. As for the ignition advance, I'm going to take the cover off and see about slotting the holes on the mounting plate... if it looks like I can do it easily and still be sure of centering the plate afterwards, that's what I plan to do... I like the idea of being able to adjust how much advance I put in there so I can play with it on the dyno... but I haven't had a look-see at the hard parts yet... if the screws are the only thing that center the plate, I think I'm gonna chicken out and just get the advancer. In any case, it snowed here today, and isn't supposed to clear off til Monday, so that gives me the whole weekend to get it close so I can enjoy the pavement if it ever dries out. (grumble-grumble seattle rain grumble) winter won't last forever ...I hope.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by jeff:

edit note: it seems that the reason why the dynojet kits for the 1100 are about $50 more expensive than the 750 kits is because they come with replacement emulsion tubes.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hmmm... well, factory wants $20 per for those emulsion tubes (made of brass, just like OEM) and I got the OEM suzuki tubes from Ron Ayers for $5.58 ea. even after shipping, I couldn't find them for less anywhere else (including local).

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
how much of a price difference was there between the k&n/dynojet and factory kits? the retail prices are supposed to be very close.....

at any rate, yes, the factory kits tend to require less 'weird mods' (e.g. drilling the slide lift holes) than the k&n/dynojet kits.

be aware, though, that the stock emulsion tubes on those 36-38mm slingshot carbs do tend to wear out pretty quickly and will cause a tuning headache when worn until they're replaced.

http://www.factorypro.com/tech/needle_jet_Mikuni.html

1 - 12 of 12 Posts