Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

81 - 100 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Fok, this is a nice thread. Really enjoyed the progress so far. Glad you got it going again. The final product should look great. By the way "fok" in our native Afrikaans here in SA is a translation of a wonderful four letter English expletive :grin2:, so I rather enjoy writing it, fok!

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Fok, this is a nice thread. Really enjoyed the progress so far. Glad you got it going again. The final product should look great. By the way "fok" in our native Afrikaans here in SA is a translation of a wonderful four letter English expletive :grin2:, so I rather enjoy writing it, fok!
Thanks. Funny, I didn't know it was Afrikaans....I'm English and back in the day, my mates reckoned I was a bit posh and didn't say f*ck but actually said fok instead! It stuck and became my nickname for years.

Here's the billet front tank mount.

Lightweight lithium battery fitted in the battery box and all the electrics fully mounted on rubber mounts to isolate from vibration.

Fibreglass extension to the seat unit finished and a trial fit prior to final trimming to get the tank and frame gaps how I want them. Note the 1275GT Mini in the background - It'll take more than a bit of fibreglass to put that right! :surprise:

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Wow......I just looked at the start date of this thread and it's been nearly 3 years!

You can't rush these things you know! :grin2:

·
That’s Mister Chalet To You ....
7,744 Posts
I'd say something cheesy like 'patience is its own reward' but in this case, the completed bike will be... one of these days. It's been fun to follow your progress all this time :thumbup

·
Premium Member
4,688 Posts
Wow......I just looked at the start date of this thread and it's been nearly 3 years!

You can't rush these things you know! :grin2:
These things take time and then life somehow gets in the way. It took me 6 or 7 years to do a straight forward 86 GSXR750-R LTD rebuild (and I still have to splash it with some fresh paint). Once it was completed, insured and plated, I wondered why it took me so long :hammer

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Saw this on the book of face the other day.......Another inspirational GSX-R Neo-Classic build, this time by TG Run.

I'd seen the bike before but seeing it again made me wish I'd gone to town more with my forks.

It'd be a shame to waste all the work with the billet brake brackets on my 1100H forks but I might just say fok it :wink2: and pull the trigger on some Hyperpros if I can sort some nice yokes.

It'll mean more of a delay probably but hey who's counting? I'll probably be too old and decrepit to ride it by the time it's done anyway :smile:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Keeping with the theme of Japanese exotic parts on a Japanese inspired Neo-Classic build, I treated myself to a Galespeed rear master cylinder to match the fronts.....

I hope the fastener Nazis will forgive me the bolts.......titanium versions are on order, I promise!

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Indicator holes filled in with 2 pack epoxy and pieces of OEM fairing from the sacrificial cut outs from the centre panel when we did the Yoshi gills.

Oil cooler extensions fitted. These and the gills are on with self tappers for now, until it's painted.

That's pretty much it for body work then, except the screen quick release.

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Wow beautiful, great attention to detail. Its expensive to rebuild these things stock too, just not quite as much as a custom like these.

I've looked all over this thread - what is that tail and where did you get it? Is it a 90 750RR?

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Wow beautiful, great attention to detail. Its expensive to rebuild these things stock too, just not quite as much as a custom like these.

I've looked all over this thread - what is that tail and where did you get it? Is it a 90 750RR?
Thanks, I'm pleased with the results so far. I did ponder putting the bike back to stock when I first bought it and as it was so clean it would have made a lovely example. Financially it would have made more sense as an investment too.......Where's the fun in that though?

The seat unit is a replica of a Yoshimura item from around 87-88 I think.

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
I think your bike maintains the period's styling; unless one knows these bikes, it doesn't appear customized IMO. Anyway, it seems most of the fun occurs during the pursuit and not in the completion. Customizing expands the pursuit time...

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
No updates yet guys.........I've been rebuilding my house then building a garage man cave with a studio above. Unfortunately there has been no progress on the bike.

I plan to restart work in Spring, once all my building work is done.

There's carbs, exhaust, switchgear, brake lines and paint left to do.

81 - 100 of 102 Posts