Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I\'ve had it!!!!!

OK, I'm seriously thinking of selling this bike if I don't figure this out soon. I'm getting a low speed wobble at highway speeds. It feels like a really slow tankslapper. I just got new tires and that didn't help, balanced the wheels, that didn't help, I've lowered the front by about an inch because they're 1100 forks. I don't know what else to do!

New wheel bearings in front, or so the shop says.

what else can cause this? steering head bearings?

PLEASE HELP!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Re: I\'ve had it!!!!!

Metezler and Pirelli make a 0 degree belt tire that almost elimates head shake, the belts isnstead of going letf to right they go around the tire acting like a gyroscope!!! try that is should solve you problem and they make race compounds too

·
3,476 Posts

steering head bearings?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Maybe?, put your front tire against a wall and ride the clutch a bit to check for play. Have the fork internals/settings been changed recently? Sounds like one tube may be reacting differently than the other. Have the forks just been put on? Could they have been from a wreck and slightly bent? Just throwing shit out here..I realize you have probably lost sleep thinking of all these things already. Best of luck..

[ 05-31-2002, 05:10 PM: Message edited by: Ragnar ]

·
Registered
3,895 Posts

I'm not clear on what your bike is doing to you... but if you mean it's like a mild tankslapper in slow-motion, I've always heard that referred to as a "weave" and I've never seen it caused by front suspension components... it's usually the rear-end that generates that. You checked your swingarm bushings? tire pressure? What about your ride-height... did you inadvertently raise the front end too much when you put the newer forks on it? In Seattle, on I-5, I get a *very slight* "weave" because there's rain-grooves from hell in the pavement. Good luck.

...if all else fails, sell it to me cheap and I'll fix it... I promise.

·
Registered
463 Posts

Do you get the wobble at 80-90km/h when slowing down from higher speeds? If yes, it's called a shimmy. Usually a shimmy is caused by tires unsuitable for the bike or mismatched tires. Did you check your tire pressures?
Has your swingarm some lateral play? Let somebody tilt the bike on it's side stand and lift the rear wheel off the ground. Try to move the swingarm sideways. Is there any play? There shouldn't be any!
It could be a geometry problem because you're using the 1100's forks in the 750's frame.
There could even be a possibility that your frame is cracked.

[ 05-31-2002, 07:31 PM: Message edited by: Wolf1100L ]

·
Banned
3,509 Posts

I'll add to the check list...settings are the same for both sides? Oil level is the same on both sides?

No road kill stuck in the brake rotors?

·
Registered
52 Posts

Check swingarm welds near the back wheel, friend of mine polished the welds when he polished the swingarm, and the weld cracked open, TIP - WHEN POLISHING ALUMINIUM-LEAVE THE WELDS ALONE.

·
Registered
360 Posts

I had the same issue, replaced the swing arm bearings and the wobble went away. Be careful, At the drags I once had it start as a wobble and then bust into a huge tank slapper and nearly crashed.

·
Registered
360 Posts

Also after you fix it put a stearing stablizer on it if you dont already have one. 1100 forks off of what year?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

thanks for the help guys (and girls)
I'm gonna try the swing arm bearings. there didn't seem to be any play but that's pretty much the only thing I haven't changed.

·
Registered
360 Posts

That is a conventional fork? If so put a good fork brace on it. something in the 1/4 inch thick range. If you can find 91 forks and can afford the exrta weight, they are much better. What production number is your 85.

·
Registered
53 Posts

Take a good look at the new metezler and pirelle tires, with the 0 degree belt they just can sustain a tank slapper or wobble, It worked for me

·
Registered
360 Posts

Mine has a canadian leaf with the number in the middle of it on the head right by the seral # I will try to get a pic of it if I can get a hold of a digital camera.

·
Registered
434 Posts

what you are discribing is what I chased on my 750 for a long time, did serious number of upgrades one at a time, tires, forks, gold valves etc in the end,the 86 swingarm is really poor changed to a later model 90 style problem went away.

·
Registered
88 Posts

My 87 750 has 92 1100 susp on it. There is a little wobble at 120 but it goes away shortly after. Dont go that fast that often so its not a problem for me.
GregW

·
Registered
763 Posts

Originally posted by Yosh:
What year swingarm and what did it take to convert?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yosh,

Who did you go through to get the new swingarm bearings???

Thanks,

JDB1371

1 - 20 of 22 Posts