Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I HAVE GIVEN UP ON THE MOD ATTEMPT!! I HAVE A 94
AND A 91/2
, BUT I AM TIRED OF THE MONEY PIT........SO, IF YOU HAVE A CLEAN ARM WITH ALL NEEDED PARTS, LET ME KNOW YOUR PRICE AND LET ME SEE A PIC!! THX ALL.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
The 92 mod should not be costing you that much. All you need is some custom spacers at the piviot point, a custom eccentric. That should be about it. With a mod like that you need to be patient.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey jimmy, hold on to that 87 arm if you can. i am going to try to get this 91 92 to fit. if not it is outie. YOSH, i have the 94 arm that alreadsy has the bushings to fit your year pivot bolt. i have 100 in it. so make me an offer. if you dont want it, not a big deal, ill throw it on ebay. SUZLTD, i am going to give it one more shot, what the hell. thanks all. talk to you soon.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I think I will stay with the 91/92, but what is the length difference between the 7 and 11. I think the swingarms are different lengths. I don't know which one I should use.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i thought he was offering a custom arm at that price.
i think ill watch ebay before i pay 150 for an arm 16 years old. i bought the 91 92 for $65 + shipping..........jimmy ill let you know on the 87, i still want to see my rims on your bike. any new pics???

·
Registered
978 Posts
my bike is still in many pieces but the rims
look sweet

i was just messing with joey on that price
if you do decide to buy the arm just make
me a good offer

jimmy

[ 07-28-2002, 10:35 AM: Message edited by: GSXR1255JIMMY ]

·
Registered
434 Posts
oldskool dont give up the improvements are really worth it. Now to solve your problem bolt the swing arm on with the linkage installed but without the shock, that is the dogbones and the new bushing with the HOLE in the middle not the old eccentric bushing, does the arm move up and down freely.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hey doug, even if i do get movement that way, the shock is hanging up on the inside of the arm. i have already took a little bit off the inside with the air grinder and it is still binding. i think i am going to give this 91/92 a try and if it doesnt work....................
on the whole thing!!
i do not want to take too much of the stability out the arm by taking off enough to make the clearance. ill keep you posted. im seeing a little bit of touching on the 91/2 arm where the dog bones attach to the top of the arm. does that need to be hit with the grinder??

·
Registered
434 Posts
can you post a picture with the arm on with the linkage in place but without the shock mounted so I can figure out what is wrong as there have been a lot converted that have not run into the problems you have posted.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hey doug, i can do that, i have the 91/2 arm on right now so it will take me a day or so to get it all the 94 stuff back on. keep an eye out for the new posting. talk to you soon.

·
Banned
11,514 Posts
on the 92 arm there was actually quite a bit of extra casting in the valley where the shock resides

I used a ball peen hammer in that area first then I sanded it smooth

you could also slightly modify the top and bottom frame mounts by filing the mount holes so that you can bolt the shock and linkage in a little closer to the motor side to gain a bit more clearance

one more thing, make sure that you have properly mapped out the stock suspension settings

what is your dogbone lenght again?

I took the spring off the stock shock then reconnected everything to take the measurements (without the shock the swingarm can travel about a foot up and down vs aprox 5 inches with it in place

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thx for the tips brian, my dog bone length is 8.00, 8.53 and 9.06. they are the adj. type with three holes predrilled. the only place i was hitting was up top where the bones connect to the arm. the 94 is hitting way too much to work out. i going to post the pics fopr doug but i am betting i am going to end up with the same arm as you. ill keep you posted.

·
Registered
434 Posts
oldskool when you have just the dog bones on the swingarm is there a rotating bushing in the 94 arm as I am not familiar with that specific arm. In other words when you tighten down the dog bones to the swing arm can you grab the other end of the dog bone and move it if there is friction there this is where your problem is. If the end of the bones rub on the swingarm then you will have to grind clearance also when checking this have the dog bones at the same downward angle as when they would be installed on the bike going to the center bushing. PS it doesnt take much friction to cause the problem you where describing initially. Also I will state the obvious that the dogbones have to be spaced wide enough apart to clear the spring you do not need a lot of clearance about 1/8" on each side is fine but the spring cannot touch anything.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
my dogbone clearance is fine, its the actual swingarm that is binding against the shock. if you were to lay down under the bike and look up through the section of the arm where the shock fits, you would see the back of the shock hitting the swing arm. that is where the clearance problem is. im pretty sure it is not going to work, unless i could grind a whole lot off of the innner portion of the swing arm. i get a pick on so you can see. i am selling my 01 and i have some guy coming from out of town, so its been kind of hectic around here. talk to you soon. jason

1 - 20 of 26 Posts